Chapter 36

"Did I ever tell you how much I just love classical music?" grumbled Emmett sarcastically as he sat down in the school auditorium alongside Rosalie.

"Only about a thousand times," replied Alice, rolling her eyes as she sat down next to Rosalie. Jasper snickered and sat himself down next to Alice.

"The things I do for my baby sister," he sighed dramatically, fanning himself with a programme. Rosalie smacked him on the shoulder with her programme.

"Behave, Emmett," she warned. Carlisle and Esme shook their heads in amusement and scanned the programme. They had been home for a week and had vowed that there would be no more overnight trips until after Amelia's change. They had missed her too much.

It was the night of the much anticipated Spring Concert. The previous week, Amelia had come home from school with a flyer and stuck it on the refrigerator door, firmly informing her family that come hell or high water, they would be at her concert. Unsurprisingly, she had narrowed her focus on her bearlike big brother and handed him some earplugs, with the promise that he could wear them for the entire concert, except for when she was playing. She expected him to listen then. Emmett had nodded solemnly at his baby sister, listening to her with rapt attention while she lectured him, while the rest of the family had nearly collapsed with silent laughter.

"Hello Carlisle, Esme, kids," greeted Richard Westsmythe and he sat down next to them, with Caroline and their two young sons in tow.

"Good evening," chorused the Cullens. Rosalie stuck her tongue out at Dr Westsmythe when his back was turned. She still hadn't forgiven him for being nasty to her beloved little sister at her last doctor's appointment. Alice and Emmett giggled silently. It was Monday, and Amelia's birthday was on Friday. If Alice's prediction held out, Amelia was going to be hospitalised sometime this week and the family was unnaturally tense as a result. The thought of Amelia going back into hospital again, when she had only just come out, was unpleasant.

A giggling group of teenagers entered the auditorium. After them, Amy and Narcisse entered the auditorium with their parents and came to greet them when they caught sight of their friends' families. They quickly left to sit with some of their classmates. Minutes before the concert started, Steven Smith entered the auditorium and nodded at the Cullens as he walked past them. Rosalie smiled sweetly at him, enjoying the slight look of fear that suddenly took over his expression. A few teachers walked past and stopped to speak to their former students.

"How are you all?" asked Mr Mason, surprised to see the Cullen children sitting in the auditorium. Edward and Bella arrived with Renesmee, Jacob, Leah and Seth and sat in the row behind them.

"Oh hello, Edward, Bella," he continued, smiling at the others.

"We are well thank you, Mr Mason. Our midyear exams have just finished so we wanted to come home and surprise Amelia for her concert. That did not work unfortunately," Edward lied smoothly, "However we were fortunate enough to spend some time here during our study leave to welcome Amelia to the family but naturally we had to leave quite soon so that we could write exams."

"I see. Well it is lovely to see you all again but I think the concert is about to begin. Take care." With that, he walked away.

Not too far away, an oboist played an A note and the sound of various instruments tuning could be heard. Esme grinned and squeezed Carlisle's hand gently. She was terribly excited to hear her daughter play tonight. The evening was structured such that solo pieces were to be played before the interlude. The small wind band that the school had was also to play, then there would be a 20 minute interval, whereupon the chairs would be set up for the orchestra. They would be seated while the choir sang a few pieces and then the orchestra would end the evening.