Chapter 25

The rest of the week flew by for Amelia. On Tuesday, she had attended her first orchestra practice and thoroughly enjoyed herself. She had come home that day talking nineteen to the dozen about the pieces that they were rehearsing for the upcoming Spring Concert and rushed through her homework so that she could get back to practicing for it. She may have overdone it a little, for Emmett wailed dramatically halfway through Amelia's lengthy practice and dug around for earplugs, inserting them with a flourish and muttering unintelligibly under his breath. He didn't care much for classical music, but the rest of the family had enjoyed listening to it. He and Jasper had eventually left the house to go for a walk through the forest before he drove the rest of the family nuts with his moaning and groaning.

Amelia took her learner's license, and passed. She was now allowed to drive, with a licensed adult's supervision of course. Emmett had rubbed his hands together in glee, excited at the thought of teaching his baby sister to drive, but had been shot down by just about everyone. It was decided that Esme, Carlisle and Rosalie would be the ones to help her out in that regard.

By Friday, Amelia had settled down into her new routine of physio, school, naptime, physio, homework, dinner, bed. Steven Smith had apologised to her upon his return to school on Thursday. Amelia had graciously accepted his apology. She pitied him somewhat, his eyes were wide and terrified when he apologised, although that might have been because her entire family, minus Renesmee, had flanked her while he did so, and Emmett kept flexing his arms and Rosalie grinned evilly at him. According to Edward, she had been fantasising about following through on her threat and ripping his head off, and Smith had been 'bloody terrified' that she would as well. Amelia's only response was to hug her big sister, and the two of them had howled with laughter in the corridor.

---

English and Music class passed quickly on Friday. Math seemed to drag along, so did science. Eventually lunch period came. The girls met in the cafeteria, eagerly discussing plans for the weekend.

"My mom and sister are going to teach me how to drive," said Amelia, smiling widely.

"Sweet!" exclaimed Amy. Like Amelia, she had her learner's permit. Daniella and Narcisse had August birthdays, so both were 16 and drove themselves to school. The three of them lived close to each other so the three of them were in a lift club together, alternating who drove everyone to and from school. The Cullen mansion was quite far out, so Esme cheerfully drove Amelia to and from school every day. Both of them enjoyed the quiet time together. In a household full of vampires, privacy was hard to come by. These mundane moments, like driving to school, were special to them. They could talk freely to each other without someone else hearing them. They loved it and wouldn't have it any other way.

"That's so cool!" said Daniella, grinning in excitement, "Alice or Rosalie?"

"Rosalie. She's the mechanic in the family, so she's going to show me the ins and outs of the car first before I get in and drive. I'll be learning in a manual too, which is great."

"Manual gearbox?" asked Narcisse.

"Yeah. Just about everyone in the family drives a manual. It's nice because you are driving the car, whereas in an automatic gearbox, the car is basically driving you. You can also push start a manual, but can't in an automatic. Also, having a manual license means I can drive both manual and automatic, whereas an automatic license restricts me to driving an automatic. Well, that's what Rose explained to me," she finished, bashfully.

"That's awesome, though I must admit, I do prefer driving an automatic. I can't stall on hills," giggled Daniella.

"Dani would totally die in a manual," stated Narcisse, looking at her friend affectionately.