Chapter 62

"Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have our winners," Simon spoke into the microphone. He had moved back to stand on the stage. A table had been set up, with two trophies and six medals. One of the adjudicators walked up to him and handed him a sheet of paper, "Before I read these names, I'd like to give my heartfelt congratulations to everyone who competed today. The judges have told me that they had a very tough time trying to name the winners. After we have concluded, I ask that the winners please stay behind so that we can take some photos."

"Alice, can you see anything?" asked Emmett, unable to bear waiting to know. He was practically bouncing up and down in his seat.

"Leave her alone," muttered Rosalie.

"I will announce the orchestra winners first," stated Simon, "could the leader of the orchestra please come up to the stage to receive a medal on their school's behalf. In third place, we have Glendale High School."

A cheer went up from the Glendale students, and their leader went up to collect the bronze medal.

"In second place, we have Seattle Central High School."

A second cheer went up, and their leader went up to collect the silver medal.

"And our winner is, drum roll please," the philharmonic orchestra's percussionist did as he was instructed, "D.W. Smith High School!"

A loud round of applause rang out. Amelia cheered loudly, as the winning school was her previous school. Her old orchestra-mates had won. The entire orchestra went onto the stage and took a bow, and the leader took the medal for her orchestra, and held up the trophy in victory. Esme smiled as Amelia had her friends cheering as well, and glanced to where Courtney's parents were sitting. The look of pride on their faces brought a smile to Esme's face. The applause quietened down and the students left the stage, returning to their seats.

"And now for our soloist winners," announced Simon.

A buzz erupted in the hall. Esme heard parents and students alike discussing who they thought might win.

"It'll be that talented boy who played the cello," remarked a young girl about Amelia's age. She was sitting five rows in front of Esme.

"Nah, I reckon it'll be that trombone player who played towards the end," said her friend.

"I think it's that young violinist who composed her own music," stated a parent sitting two rows behind the Cullens.

"The sick girl who is on oxygen?" asked the woman next to him, presumably his wife.

"Yeah, her. She was phenomenal."

"She was. I've not heard talent like that for a long time."

Esme and Carlisle exchanged glances and entwined their hands. Emmett was bouncing off his seat with anticipation. Alice and Jasper shared a knowing look.

"Emmett, calm down. You will break the chair if you don't stop," chided Carlisle in amusement.

"Jasper, please!" begged Rosalie. Jasper shook his head.

"Let him have his fun, Rosie. He's just excited."

"He thinks Amelia scored a medal. Let him savour the moment," agreed Alice softly. Esme's unbeating heart sank. She had really hoped Amelia would feature in the top three. She hoped Amelia wouldn't be too upset. Up on the stage, Simon's face was impassive, not giving away anything. She sighed softly and focused on Amelia, who was coughing again. She started when she realised that while she was musing, she'd missed the third and second place winners. She watched as an 18 year old saxophonist made his way down the stairs, silver medal clasped tightly in his hand.