Chapter 21

One accessed port later, Amelia was back in her normal attire and alternating between glaring at Carlisle and rubbing the area where her PICC once was, which was now encased in banadges, all the while muttering unintelligibly under her breath. She was not enjoying the antibiotics that were running through her port. Unfortunately, the PICC was infected again, and rather than resite it, Carlisle had opted to remove it all together and give Amelia a break, and flood her system with IV antibiotics to combat it. If she was willing to be poked and prodded for blood work, then he was inclined to leave her. 

She was still sitting on the examination bed, twirling the oxygen line around her fingers. Alice had made Esme run to the hospital when she foresaw that things were going awry, and saw that Amelia would really want her mom there with her. Carlisle, Esme and Alair were having a hushed conversation in the corner, much to Amelia's annoyance. Suddenly a young girl, no older than 16, popped her head around the door.

"Hi Dr Cullen, Mrs Cullen, Nurse Jones," she greeted enthusiastically, coming into the room.

"Hello Daniella," chorused the trio warmly.

"Dad said to go to his office, he wants to have a word with you guys. Also, is Amelia around?"

"She's right behind you," said Esme, smiling warmly. Daniella spun around. Amelia waved. Esme glanced at Amelia, "sweetheart, stop playing with the bandages," she chided gently.

"It burns," she whispered. It had hurt Amelia a great deal when they accessed the port and removed the PICC. She had not cried, instead turning her head away to look at the wall. She didn't want to upset Esme by crying, but all four of them knew that she was fighting back the tears.

"Oh honey," she whispered, giving her a hug, before turning to leave the room, trailing after Carlisle and Alair. Daniella came to sit next to her on the bed.

"Hey, I'm Daniella, but my friends call me Dani," greeted Daniella. She had long hair, a mixture of blonde and brown, and blue eyes.

"I'm Amelia, but I prefer to be called Mia," replied Amelia.

"Dad says that you're a sophomore too? Are you coming to Forks High School?"

"Yes, I start on Monday. I'm a little nervous," she said, coughing as she did so.

"You don't have to be. My friends Amy and Narcisse will be there as well. I'm quite sure you'll have classes with some of us. You'll probably have English and Math with one of us."

"I should have Science too, and Music. I'm not sure what my fifth subject is, probably a language or something."

"And gym," said Daniella, groaning as she did.

"I'm excused from gym, actually."

"Lucky!" she exclaimed, "though it must really suck not being able to run around like we do in gym."

"Something like that. I really dislike sports because I was always out of breath, but I'd give anything to be running around with the rest of the gym class. We've arranged my schedule so that gym is in the last period of the day and I can go home as soon as it starts."

"Sweet. Is it tiring being on oxygen?"

"It's tiring because my lungs don't work as well as they should, so that is what holds me back from doing everyday tasks, like washing my hair."

"Sheesh," sighed Daniella, "that sucks."

Amelia chuckled.

"What instrument do you play? We could do with a new face in orchestra."

"Violin, and you?"

"Piano and violin. We could definitely use your help, so if you are interested, let me know. We have practice on a Tuesday and Thursday morning before school, and sometimes during lunch hour. We have the occasional practice after school as well, usually when we have a concert coming up. The spring concert is coming up soon, if you are keen."