Chapter 48

Thank you to fanfiction91 for allowing me to bounce a few ideas off her and giving input at a very late hour (well close on midnight for me, just after noon for her. This 10 hour time difference usually sucks, but has its advantages when you have writer's block and your friends in the same/similar time zones as you are all asleep. Love you, bug!) and to shawin02 for giving an opinion on a certain paragraph (which as a stand-alone paragraph does not hint at her death, so she's not impressed with me either). 

I am not a religious person, so I hope my attempt at a memorial is adequate. I hope that I have not offended anyone with Amelia's agnostic views on religion, and my sincerest apologies if I have. Please don't hesitate to send me a message if you are offended, I would love to discuss it with you. Education is the best way to sort out ignorance.

---

Amelia's memorial dawned on a miserable, rainy day. Esme stared outside the window, watching the rain fall. It matched her mood perfectly, everyone's mood really. Four days had passed since Amelia had died, four days of misery, of hell. Amelia's death left a huge void in the family. She'd been with them for little more than a month, but their lives would never be the same. Everyone spoke in hushed tones, generally avoiding any mention of the deceased. Amelia's unopened birthday presents had been placed in her closet, Alice hadn't known what else to do with them.

"I thought I might find you here," said Carmen, coming into Amelia's bedroom and snapping Esme out of her reverie.

"It still smells like Amelia in here," said Esme wistfully.

"I know it does," replied Carmen, coming to give her friend a hug. They stood in silence for a little while. Rosalie knocked at the door.

"We're going to be late," she whispered. Esme and Carmen walked out of the room. Everyone was assembled downstairs. Amelia's favourite colour was purple, and it was also the colour of Cystic Fibrosis, so everyone was wearing it in some way or another in her honour. Carlisle, Emmett, Edward and Jasper wore purple ties, Garret and Eleazar wore a dark purple shirt beneath their jackets. Alice and Blythe were dressed in lilac knee-length dresses, whilst Rosalie, Esme and Carmen settled for a darker purple to match their husbands. Bella dressed in formal pants and a lavender jersey, and Renesmee wore a black dress with a purple hat and belt. Kate and Tanya were dressed in floor-length plum-coloured dresses.

Wordlessly, they left the house and climbed into their vehicles. Carlisle and Esme climbed into the Mercedes, with Carmen and Eleazar slipping into the backseat. Rosalie and Emmett drove behind them in Rosalie's BMW, with Kate and Garret. Alice and Jasper drove next, with Tanya and Blythe seated in the back. Edward brought up the rear, with Bella and Renesmee. For the first time in a very long time, they drove slowly, a funeral procession.

They arrived at the hall, where the memorial was to the held. The rain refused to let up, and a crowd of attendees rushed forwards with umbrellas to shelter the grieving family from the relentless rain that was falling. Inside the auditorium, rows upon rows of chairs had been set up, some of which were already occupied. Esme caught sight of Alair and Samantha deep in conversation. A few other staff members from Forks Hospital had come to pay their respects. They didn't know Amelia personally, rather coming out of support to Carlisle. Richard and Caroline Westsmythe stood to the side, chatting to Joanne Anderson, who had flown out from New York as well.

A strong, canine aroma filled the hall. Esme turned, and saw the entire pack, with imprints and elders accompanying them, enter the hall. Billy rolled over to pay his respects, with Sue hot on his heels, one elder to another. Seth and Leah were understandably devastated, for they had grown close to Amelia. Charlie arrived not long after, pausing to bow his head in respect to the grieving parents, before making his way to where Bella and Jacob stood.