Chapter 11

"You're going to let her die?" exclaimed Alice once they had arrived at the car and gotten in.

"No, Alice, but should she choose not to become an immortal, I won't stop her," said Esme.

"Can you see anything yet, Allie?" asked Rosalie, stricken that she might lose her sister.

Alice was quiet for a moment. "Nothing, she hasn't decided anything yet."

"I think we could all do with a quick hunt," said Carlisle, trying to break the tension.

"Agreed," said Rosalie, staring out the window.

---

Amelia woke about an hour later. The ward was quiet, many patients already asleep. She was not tired anymore, and her thoughts were churning. Bree, her darling best friend, was dead. Gone forever. She'd never see her again. She could picture her as clear as anything, her laugh, her smile, her unconditional love. A tear streaked down her face and she wiped it away hastily. She wanted to join her friend, wherever she was. She didn't want to stay here on this earth anymore. Life had been unkind to her – she had lost her parents when she was young, she had been placed in some extremely abusive foster homes, and had now lost her best friend, her sister, on top of which she had been cursed with a chronic disease that was killing her. She sighed heavily.

What would Bree have thought? Bree loved life, in spite of her equally horrific upbringing. She had dreams and goals perhaps considered far beyond the reach of a girl raised in the foster system, but she always had hope. Bree had jumped at the opportunity to change her destiny, and it had gotten her killed. She wouldn't want her to waste her life like this. But Amelia was tired, tired of fighting, tired of this life. Death would bring peace, surely?

She thought of the memories she had with her friend. Would Amelia's choice to die mean that she was failing her best friend? Bree had wished for a family just as much as she had, would her decision to stop fighting mean that she was letting her best friend down? Her head ached terribly. Her chest pain was barely manageable. She hoped that if she shut her eyes for just a second, she may get a moment's reprieve from the constant pain she was in, and drifted off to sleep.

Amelia walked in a field. The sun was shining overhead, warming her up. There were flowers everywhere. Spying a dandelion, she picked it up and blew it, making a wish.

"Mia!" a familiar voice called. Amelia spun around.

"Bree?" The two girls ran towards each other and embraced. Both were crying, so relieved to see each other again. They exchanged pleasantries, both girls emphasising how much they missed the other. The conversation soon turned serious.

"Mia, what has got you so afraid of living?"

"Dying, Bree. I'm dying."

"You don't have to, you can become like me. A vampire that is."

"I'm scared."

"Why?"

"I'm scared that the Cullens only want me because I'm sick. I'm expendable. I'm going to live a couple more months, then I will die. If I do choose to become a vampire, what if they don't want me anymore after I have turned? What if I can't breathe and spend the rest of my life like this?"

"That won't happen. They already love you to bits. Esme is heartbroken that you might choose to mortality. Furthermore, you will be able to breathe like a normal person would. In fact, we vampires don't need to breathe at all."