Chapter 54

"You're starting to recover at long last, Amelia," stated Dr Westsmythe, removing the stethoscope earpieces from his ears and hanging his stethoscope around his neck. Amelia offered a tired smile in response. She was in Dr Westmsythe's office for her daily check-up, one of the many terms and conditions of her extremely early release from hospital a few days ago.

"That is wonderful news," beamed Esme.

"Just a couple more days of IVs and then you're good to go," broke in Carlisle, knowing that it would make Amelia smile. She did perk up a little bit, but nothing could erase the obvious dark circles under her eyes. She had had a bad few nights – little sleep and lots of coughing, some of which ended with Amelia throwing up. Had Carlisle and Esme been human, they would have had to endure all those sleepless nights as well, and attempt to function the following day, as Amelia did. As it was, it pained them both to witness Amelia being so ill and being able to do so little about it.

"Sounds good," she yawned widely, blinking sleepily.

"May I take Amelia home?" asked Esme, observing just how tired her daughter was.

"I think that would be best," said Carlisle.

"I take it she hasn't been sleeping well?" queried Dr Westsmythe, observing the teenager who was already halfway asleep.

"She's barely slept the last few nights. The antibiotics are doing their job, but the side effects are horrendous."

"I can scarcely imagine."

"Dad?" a quiet voice spoke, knocking at the door.

"Come in Daniella," called Dr Westsmythe. The young teenager quietly opened the door and poked her head around. Blythe was with her.

"Hey everyone," she greeted, holding a piece of paper in her hand, "Dad said you'd be here today. I just came to give this to you, Mrs Cullen. There were talent scouts, for lack of a better term, at the Spring Concert, and they invited a few of us to take part in a junior musician competition in Seattle. We got notified today by Ms Monteverdi. The winner gets to play as a soloist with the Seattle Philharmonic at Benaroya Hall, and the chance to go to watch a concert at Carnegie Hall in New York. Amelia was one of the students they selected, they were very impressed with her piece."

"Daniella also got invited," broke in Blythe, nudging her friend proudly.

"So did you, Blythe. I'm sorry you cannot be part of it though," said Daniella, wistfully.

"Thank you, girls," said Esme warmly, "we'll chat to Amelia about it later. Do we let Ms Monteverdi know if Amelia is going to be involved?"

"Yes please. The details are in this flyer, but Ms Monteverdi has said that should you have any questions, feel free to contact her directly. She's put her email address and other contact details on it for you. How is Amelia?" Daniella replied, glancing at her friend who was now asleep on the examination bed.

"She's getting better," stated Carlisle, gently pushing Amelia's hair out of her face as he did so.

"I'm glad to hear that," said Daniella sincerely, "please send her my regards. I know she's too ill for company, but tell her I miss her, please."

"We will," said Esme. She was fond of Amelia's friends – they all seemed to genuinely care for her. Even Steven Smith, the senior who had been so unkind to Amelia on her first day, cared for her. He had phoned the Cullen home twice already and had come to see her while she was still in hospital. Even although he had not been allowed to see her, Esme could see that he cared deeply for the young girl, and following Amelia's request, had forgiven the boy who had been a prized turkey on that day in the cafeteria, and had become her unofficial bodyguard when she was still able to attend school.