Chapter 11- 1967 Year of choices

The year-end parties, Layla, Victoria and Paul spent with their families. My parents are back in Brazil and in January 1967 began with a harsh winter in Truro. They were days of freezing temperatures. We were on school holidays, would return in February. 

There was only another two months and would finish high school. Even on vacation I studied almost every day. In February with the Back to School there will be a race to get scholarships in three universities. Each student would have to choose three universities to compete for the scholarship. I knew what I would choose three universities. I have to talk to Layla, Victoria and Paul and see what they will choose. Roger was also studying hard. He had already decided that will study dentistry school. He is very intelligent and matters involving science it is just a nerd. Although he choose this profession was not really his dream. Rog talked to me and says his priority is to study Dentistry at the University of London and at the same time try performing career in the British capital. I fear getting away from Rog, because my priority is to study at Oxford. The month of January also took advantage and enjoyed parties and tours with Rog, Layla, Victoria and Paul. We were known as the quintet inseparable. 

Finally the month of February came and with it the dreaded exam week for the scholarships. On Monday with the Back to School did not matter. 

The first week would only evidence for the scholarships. I remember the biology teacher who apply the proof for our class first handed a paper with a list of universities that are in the UK. This list when there were more than twenty universities, students would be entitled to choose three. I remember that I pointed out the three I wanted quickly and signed my name. 

The first choice would be Oxford, the second choice to third choice Cambridge University in London. Quickly handed the sheet to the teacher with my choices. Soon began applying the evidence. Today the materials applied in the test would be the English language, British Literature and Writing. After all morning test finally came the time of departure. It was one o'clock. Roger would ride for Paul, Layla, Victoria and me. He became virtually our driver. 

- And then Yasmine, what were your university options? You said you would choose first the University of London, because of the employment opportunities in journalism career in London and to stay close to me. - Roger smiled.  

- Yes , I chose the University of London , after Oxford and Cambridge. - I lied to him.

I know it was wrong to lie to Rog , but do not want to bore you with my choice now. Then I talk to him when you see the results of the tests in April. First I have to know the results as well. Already regret having lied to him. I hope he understand and forgive me. I'm very nervous about upcoming tests we'll do this week . I have to go well to all matters . The evidence today I think I did well , I studied very British Literature, English Language and I love writing . I believe I was good at writing.  

- Yasmin, I thought you would choose Oxford as I chose. - Layla groaned. - I want to be near you friend. I chose Oxford, Cambridge and London.

- I chose London, Cambridge and Oxford. - Paul said. - I try Biology career in the same British capital. 

- I chose Cambridge, Oxford and London - Victoria sighed. - Only a miracle for us all studying at the same university in the same city. 

- I chose London, Oxford and Cambridge - Rog said. - I studied like crazy. My priority is London, there is no alternative. My dream is to go to the capital to study dentistry and fight for my dream. I remained silent. 

He was thoughtful. I did not want to stay away from them. But fear grew every day. Rog left me at home last. I spent the rest of the day studying and went to sleep early.