Chapter 39

It was bright. Why was it bright? Maybe because Rogue had forgotten to close the curtains last night. Maybe she left them open to look at stars like she use too. Or maybe. She had forgotten like always. All she knew was the bright beams hit her eyes and woke her. Her eyes fluttered open. She went to get up when she noticed a small snore behind her. Nash. She laid back down. She didn't want to bother him. She did, however, turn and face him. In his sleep he pulled her closer. Her head under his chin.

"Good morning" a scuffy voice said

She looked up into the crystal orbs of Nash. His eyes we're half open, and she could obviously tell he was sleepy.

"Morning" she yawned

He pulled her closer to him, if that was humanly possible. She kept him warm the entire night.

"What do you want to do?" Nash asked

"Can't we just lay here?" she replied softly

"Rogue you know you can't" he whispered in her ear

"Well can't we just lay here for five more minutes?" she said

He sighed. Silence filled the room. Only the sound of rustling leaves outside of the window. Nash's arms wrapped around Rogue's waist. She laid there. For once completely peaceful. Relaxed. She liked it. She liked this atmosphere. She wished that the next night she wouldn't have to be without this. She wished Nash could stay here with her. She longed few more seconds, a few more minutes, a few more hours. She knew they'd go by quick this morning, but tonight. The lonely, cold night would feel like a lifetime. The warmth she felt with his arms around her would vanish. The serenity would evaporate. The safety that she felt only with him would disappear.

Five minutes, as she had thought, went by VERY quickly. Nash got up and told her she should get ready. He too needed to get ready. She watched him pull on his jacket. He grabbed his high tops. As he did he wondered if he would be alright tonight. He had never slept so soundly. It had been awhile that he'd slept so well. As he stood he turned to her. Emerald staring back at him. He wanted to come back tonight. He wanted to stay with her another night.

"Could I-"

"No" Rogue said sadly

He looked at her confused. Did she not feel the same way? She did, but she knew after a while she'd get attached, and if Nash wanted to remain friends she knew this wasn't what friends do. She knew Nash hadn't thought of that yet.

"You wanted to stay friends" Rogue added, "friends don't do this"

Nash nodded slowly. This time it wasn't Rogue who had the feeling of her heart rolling out of her chest and shattering. It was Nash. A knot formed in his throat. His eyes became watery. He looked at the floor avoiding her eyes. He walked out. Not saying a word. She sighed shakily. A tear rolling down her face. This is what he wanted. But if this is what he wanted why is she crying? He did this for a reason right?

Knock!

Knock!

Knock!

Her eyes snapped up at the door. She walked over to the door and opened it. Shawn stood before her. Her eyebrows knitted.

"Can I come in?" he asked

"Uh yeah"

She stepped out of the doorway and motioned him inside. I closed the door as he sat down on my bed. He stared at one of his hands. I looked really hard trying to see what he was staring at, but I had failed.

"So uh what's up?" Rogue continued

Shawn looked at her startled coming out of his thoughts. He looked back at his hand. He opened it slowly to show her the Grizzly's gold claw in his hand.

"The Grizzly's Claw" Rogue said, "what about it?"

"I need to know if it would be enough for a piece of jewelry" he replied

"That depends" she sat beside him, "what piece of jewelry?"

He looked at her. No one knew his plan. He needed it stay that way. Only she could know until the right time. He couldn't have her going around telling everyone. She only needed to know because she's Belle's best friend, and he had no idea what he was doing.

"I'm going to propose to Belle" he explained quickly

She looked at him in disbelief. He began to get worried what if she doesn't want them to get married. He knows Belle too well. She'd do a lot of things without Rogue's consent, but she wouldn't marry someone without Rogue's agreement. But Rogue began to smile. Her best friend was getting married.

"Shawn that's wonderful!" she exclaimed

"I need you to help me pick out a ring"

"Alright"

Rogue quickly got ready and grabbed the keys. Shawn followed her to the red and black Chevy Camaro. They both got inside. Rogue driving and Shawn in the passenger side seat. It was quiet.

"So when you going to ask?" Rogue said

"Let's worry about the ring first please" Shawn replied uneasily

"Are you okay?" she asked

"Just worried"

"Shawn she loves you so much"

"What if she isn't ready?"

"She ran away with you in the middle of a fight with our rivals" she explained, "she's been ready to marry you"

He chuckled to himself as they pulled in the pawn shop parking lot.