Chapter 1

{Character in picture: Ellen Page as Kyler Kennedy}

{Song in video: Good Charlotte - The Anthem}

I banged on the bathroom door. My older sister, Clarissa, already spent over 20 minutes in there. "Clarissa what are you doing in there? I have to get ready too you know!" I yelled through the door.

"Wait a few more minutes! I'm putting on makeup!" Clarissa yelled back.

I officially ran out of patience and burst through the door.

"Get out I need privacy!" Clarissa was already dressed and had makeup on.

"Oh for crying out loud you're already dressed and have makeup! How much more do you need?!"

We're basically the opposite of each other. I don't know how we're sisters even. She's a total girly girl who always wears dresses, blouses, skirts, makeup, and heels and I'm a tomboy who wears jeans, flannels, t-shirts, combat boots, converse, and vans. The only makeup I wear is eyeliner and that's only occasionally. She likes shopping, doing people's makeup and hair, and gossiping. I like skateboarding, roller skating, and eating food. She's the most popular girl in school and I'm basically invisible. We're only a year apart, she's a senior and I'm a junior.

Clarissa continued to ignore me and I groaned and decided to make myself breakfast in the meantime, but noticed my older brother Dylan drinking from the milk carton. "Ugh how many times do we have to tell you not to drink from the carton?!" I yelled.

Dylan snickered and drank more of it. I begrudgingly got myself cereal and ate it - without the milk.

Clarissa walked downstairs to eat breakfast. She was wearing a fancy girly blouse and a skirt (just like most days).

My 13 year old brother Jared grabbed a piece of toast and ran outside. My dad rushed out the door and my mom was in a rush to get my 5 year old sister Madeline to school.

"Hurry up and eat Madeline," my mom said. "We're already running late."

I went back upstairs to go to the bathroom to wash my face, brush my teeth, and what not.

A few minutes later I went downstairs and noticed everyone was gone, including my parents. Of course this would happen when I'm running late. I didn't even have time to make myself a sandwich for lunch or get money to pay for it at school. The bus had already left a half an hour ago. I groaned and went outside and skateboarded all the way to school. It took about 20 minutes to get there.

I ended up coming to class 10 minutes late. My 1st period teacher Mrs. Russell said, "I'm marking you tardy. Next time come to class on time."

I sighed and went to my seat.

"Where were you?" My best friend Alexis Shay asked.

"My whole family left me so I skateboarded to school."

Mrs. Russell eyed them. "There will be no talking in this class Kyler Kennedy."

I sighed and did my work.

---

Later at lunch while I was eating my pizza that Alexis gave to me, Dylan came by and said, "Yo what's up my shorties," and rubbed me and Alexis' head. I'm 5'1 and Alexis is exactly 5'0.

"You're going to mess up my hair!" Alexis said and looked mortified.

When he was done, he grabbed the pizza out of my hands and took a big bite of it.