Chapter 13

{Character in picture: Katie Findlay as Melody Price (before and after)}

{Song in video: Everclear - The New Disease}

"Sweetie I would like you to spend more time with Melody," my mom said to me. "I've noticed you two didn't really talk or hang out with each other much."

"She's busy hanging out with Clarissa and her clique," I said, feeling slightly annoyed. She's completely changed! I don't even know how to talk to her.

"I know she's changed quite a bit but please don't let that to get to you too much. Maybe you can invite her to do something this afternoon."

"I already have plans with Seth and my friends."

"Invite Melody along, who knows maybe she'll start hanging out with you and your friends more."

Seth, Amy, and Alexis watched us argue. I could tell they were feeling awkward and uncomfortable.

I sighed. There was no way to argue out of that one. "Fine." I texted Melody if she wanted to hang out with me, Seth, and my friends. A few seconds later she replied, K sure :) I was on the way to the mall anyways. Let's do that!

"What did she reply with?" my mom asked while peeking over my phone. "I guess you all are going to the mall then."

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped. "But we were planning to go roller skating," I said.

"You all can go roller skating any time. Spend some time with your cousin. Besides, I don't think your friends will mine. I know Alexis loves shopping, maybe that will rub off on you." With that, she went to the kitchen.

I scoffed under my breath. "It'll be okay Ky," Alexis said, giving me a sympathetic look. "We don't mind, we'll have fun no matter what we're doing, as long as we're together."

"I guess," I mumbled. I didn't mind hanging out with Melody and had nothing against her but I was looking forward to roller skating with Seth, Amy, and Alexis.

"Off to the mall we go," Seth said, putting his arm around me and smiling.

"So who's driving?" Amy asked.

"Well my dad has the car and Clarissa has the other car," I said.

"I rode with you here Amy," Alexis said.

"I guess I'm driving," Amy said. We went outside to go in Amy's car. She played "The New Disease" by Everclear and I grinned. She knew that was one of my favorite songs and she was trying to cheer me up.

When we got to the mall and got out of the car, Amy said, "So where are we meeting her?"

"Um...let me check..." I said. I checked my phone since I haven't in a while and saw another text from Melody. "She's at American Eagle."

"Coolio." We walked toward American Eagle; me and Seth holding hands.

When we got there, my mouth dropped when I noticed Addison was with Melody. "Oh hey Kyler!" Melody greeted and smiled. "I hope you don't mind that Addison is here. We had previous plans but we agreed the more, the merrier."

I faked a grin. "Hey no problem," I said, struggling to hold back a snarky comment. I knew it wasn't Melody's fault that me and Addison didn't get along, especially now that I'm dating Seth, but I really wished I knew what I was getting myself into. Seth must have noticed that I was a little uncomfortable because his grip on my hand tightened.

"Hey Kyler!" Addison grinned and gave me a hug, which was awkward since I was still holding Seth's hand, so I patted her back. She turned to Seth and flipped her hair. "Hey Seth." She winked at him and had a flirty tone in her voice.