Chapter 18

{Song in video: Good Charlotte - Predictable}

It was finally the day my parents were going out of town. They kept pacing around the house, making sure that they had everything. "Why are you guys going out of town again?" Jared asked, looking confused. I rolled my eyes. I swear this kid never paid attention to anything except maybe video games.

"Because your dad is going to a rewards ceremony for his job," my mom replied.

"Yes and hopefully I'll be first place this time," my dad said, looking hopeful.

"We'll see." She smiled and kissed his cheek. She turned back to us. "Okay, if there's an emergency then call us of course and call your aunt and uncle if it's something major. Their phone numbers are listed on the paper on the kitchen counter."

"We know, mom, we know," Clarissa said. She might as well have said 'just get out of here' since that was what I got from her tone of voice.

"And absolutely no parties," my dad said, giving us a stern look. I knew I wasn't going to throw any parties since I'm not a party person. Heck, I never actually been to a real party. Family gatherings don't really count us parties, at least not in the teenage world. I don't really have any desire to go to a party, let alone have one.

"Don't worry, we won't," I assured him and smiled.

"Mommy, daddy, I'll miss you this much!" Madeline exclaimed, spread her arms out and grinning.

"Aw sweetie," my mom said picking her up. "We'll miss you too. We promise to call every few hours." She gave her a kiss on her forehead and put her back down. "We have to go now. I love you kids!" She blew us a kiss and went out the door.

"Goodbye kids, we love you," my dad said, smiling as he walked out the door.

"Finally, I thought they'd never leave," Clarissa muttered.

"Tell me about it," Dylan said.

I gave them a confused look. "Did you guys just agree on something?" I asked, tilting my head.

"I guess we just did." He smirked and hugging Clarissa.

"Ew gross! Get off of me!" Clarissa exclaimed.

"I get to do whatever I want," Jared said and gave us an evil grin.

"No you don't," Dylan said. "If you try anything funny then I'll spread rumors about you so that when you come to high school next year your reputation will be ruined."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't be so mean Dylan. I'm sure he's joking," I said, opening a bag of Lays chips and eating it.

"Maybe I am and maybe I'm not," Jared said.

"I wanna play with dollies! Someone play with me!" Madeline exclaimed. Clarissa walked off while talking on the phone.

"I'm uh busy with something," Dylan said. "Go play with Jared or something." He walked away.

"Gross I'm not playing with dolls," Jared said. "That's for losers."

Madeline furrowed her eyebrows. "You're a loser!" she cried out and kicked his leg.

"Ow!" He winced and hopped on one leg. "How can a little girl kick like that? Pure evil!"

Before things could get worse, I said, "Hey guys let's cool it." I turned to Madeline. "I'll be glad to play dolls with you. People who don't play with dolls are losers."

Madeline grinned. "Yay!"

"But please do not kick or hit anybody. That's not a nice thing to do." I gave her a stern look.