Just What I Needed (8)

A week later, Keely still hadn't answered Maureen.

Because Maureen was right, it was a big decision. Actually, enormous was a more fitting word for her predicament.

Keely had finally admitted to herself that she wanted music to not only be part of her life, but her entire life. And then that night she had been offered a record deal, and along with it all of her forbidden dreams along with all her insecurities. And she still hadn't told Joe the reason that she had came running to his house that night, she hadn't told her father that she was contemplating leaving him, and she hadn't told Haley why she was so distracted.

And she was feeling guilty. Because there were thousands of artists just trying to get Maureen Jones to listen to their demo, hoping with all of themselves for a record deal. And Keely was considering turning it down.

If she took the deal, she would leave all her family behind, for how long, she wasn't sure.

Not that she would never come home again, but she was only seventeen. What if she became one of those artists that were huge when they were young, but burnt out?

Or what if she poured all of her heart into the music she recorded, and then her records never sold?

But if she didn't take the record deal, she might never get this chance again.

"What are you going to do after high school?" Keely asked Haley one morning when they had just bought their habitual morning lattes and settled into the giant cushioned couches.

"Be a fashion designer," she answered instantly.

Smiling slightly, Keely looked at her closely. "What if you were offered to go to New York to go to put your clothes on the runway, would you go?"

Though she was confused, Haley took a second to answer. "It would change my life," she admitted, "And I really do like my life right now. It's great, making clothes for you and then squad. But I wouldn't even hesitate if I was offered something like that, it's my dreams on a platter."

"Even if you left all your friends behind?"

Grinning, Haley said, "I would call you every night. But I would go, because it's not only what I want, it's what I need. What's up Keely?"

Sighing, Keely closed her eyes for a moment. "Nothing," she lied.

*

Even though she didn't want to get back together with Tony, she needed to ask him about his future. Keely was gathering information, this was what she always seemed to before making a big decision.

After practice, Keely hung around because Tony was still training.

"Do you want to grab dinner?" Haley asked grabbing her giant gym bag. "Pizza sounds good to me."

"I've got to take a rain check on that one," she apologized.

Haley sent one look to where Tony was still doing drills, sweat pouring down his brow unnoticed in his effort. “Oh, okay," she said understandingly. "I want to know the details tonight."

"I just need to talk to him," Keely insisted.

"Whatever you need to do, I'll be here," Haley patted her arm.

Rolling her eyes, Keely watched Haley walk off the field with their friend's Jane and Sara. If only her best friend knew what was going on.

Finally the field was empty, finding the perfect moment, Keely grabbed a water bottle out of her gym bag. Because Tony was standing there for a moment, his hands on his hips and panting steadily. He rarely breathed this heavy during games, but Tony had also been playing straight for almost four hours.