Just What I Needed (20)

"I love shoes," Keely moaned as she and Rachael sat down in Rachael's car. She found she was getting quite frustrated with having a driver, but Keely was sat demurely in the passenger's seat after a long day of shopping.

"I know, right?" Rachael giggled, pulling out of the parking lot.

Leaning down, Keely laughed, "I'm so taking off my shoes." Without waiting for Rachael's answer, she pulled off the high heels. Honestly, after a full day of walking around a mall, her feet were throbbing.

"Where do you live? I'll drop you off."

"I live in a hotel," Keely smiled, dropping her head against the seat."But, for the moment you can just drop me off at a music store."

"You want to do more shopping?" Rachael asked incredulously.

"No," she laughed, "Well, yeah. I guess, kind of. Just drop me off when I say, you don't have to drop me off all the way at my hotel. I just need to talk to someone and I think I might walk down to the studio because Marco said he was going to be there late tonight."

"You have bags," Rachael's voice had a worried tone as she across the car over at Keely.

Keely just rolled her eyes. Rachael was an okay person, although she doubted she'd be able to handle the girl for more than a day at a time. Seriously, how much optimism can you take when it's mixed with a bubbly person? "If you don't remember, I only have one pair of shoes and you have ten bags of clothes. I can walk with one bag, or you could just give it to me tomorrow at dinner."

"I'll give it to you tomorrow," she agreed, but still had a apprehensive expression on her face. "But I still don't want you to go walking around in the dark, I mean walk in the dark all you want, but just don't do it alone."

"Rachael," she smiled reassuringly, placing a hand on her arm, but in truth the concern was starting to grate on her nerves. Usually Keely didn't mind worry about her when it was from her friends and family, but - for some reason - when it was Rachael, she started feeling overburdened and edgy, just wanting to get away. "I'll be fine, I'm not walking butt naked down a boat dock in 1743, I think I can handle this."

"Fine," she said grudgingly.

Smiling, Keely couldn't help but realise that Rachael was already getting a big-sister attitude towards her. Well, it was fitting, because most sisters didn't like their big sister's boyfriend. "Here we are."

"Keely," she said worryingly.

Now exasperated, Keely didn't bother to hid her annoyance as she leaned down to look through the car window at Rachael. "The streets are still crowded and the studio isn't far Rachael, I can handle walking on my own. I'm not hopeless."

With that, Keely turned away from the car and stormed up to where the almost falling down music store was.

Maybe she had been just a little too short with Rachael, but just because she was a couple years older than her didn't mean she could boss her around. Keely had done much more dangerous things than walk down a dark road alone.

And it wasn't as if she was going to aim for dark alleys!

Still annoyed, Keely pushed open the door to the old record store. Her aggravation passed instantly, suddenly she felt guilty.

The old man might have had seen a million customers and probably didn't care about one sixteen year old who had come into his store once. But that didn't mean Keely didn't remember how she had promised him that she would be coming into his store almost daily, so even if he could care less about her coming in, Keely would have to, she just kept all of her vows.