Just What I Needed (12)

"Hales?" Keely said into the phone as she sat cross legged on her bed listening to a Beatles record.

"You did call me," she pointed out.

Rolling her eyes, Keely continued, "Well, I was thinking. And don't you dare say that's never a good thing, because that's my line," there was a pause when Haley snorted good-naturedly. "That you should pick me up, because I don't have a ride there, and I plan on drinking a bit tonight."

"Ever hear of a cab?" prompted Haley.

"No money," she challenged.

There was another pause when Haley seemed to be considering something. "I can come pick you up later, I'm just setting up for the party with a few people, and I will not have you setting up for your own going away party."

"C'mon," Keely laughed. "You're having it in Jordan's backyard, all you have to do is set up a few tables and get some strong guy to lift kegs onto it."

"A lot you know," said Haley mutinously.

Suddenly interested, Keely stood up wandering around her room. "What are you doing then?"

"Not telling you any details," she warned. But continued with a smile in her voice after Keely's laughing reply. "But we're having it in the far back, in the forest almost. There's a road close to it, but far enough in that the cops aren't going to bust us. You know the place, it has that huge wooden thing that looks like a party tent."

"Course I know it," Keely laughed. So the only reason it was taking so long was because those strong guys were carrying everything down into the forest. "So when are you going to pick me up?"

"About ten thirty," she decided.

"And Hales," Keely added. "I have no idea what to wear."

In the end, Keely ended up on decided what to wear. She had to wean herself off the tendencies of wearing whatever Haley handed her, but she was never going to be as stylish ever again.

She chose skinny navy blue jeans because she was wearing her favourite high heeled ankle boots, plus a long black Van Halen top, but it still stayed tight to the body, making it perfect for wearing her mother's old black leather jacket. She left the collar open so she could wear the heart shaped locket that had been her grandmother's. Pulling her dark curling hair back into pony tail, Keely kept a few tendrils of hair out in front of her off-white hairband.

Her father was asleep in the armchair when Keely walked into the kitchen and the replays were on the TV. Sighing, Keely grabbed a blanket and spread it over top of him lovingly before turning back into the kitchen. The first thing she did was grab the sugar from the island and put it beside the coffee maker.

It had been like an ongoing silent war between Keely and her father.

Every single time Frank had coffee - which was copious amounts during the day - he would leave the sugar on the island. And every night, Keely would put the canister back.

Who was going to do that when she was gone?

Trying to avoid a panic attack, Keely grabbed a notebook and pen, flipping to a blank page, she wrote:

Hey daddy;

I might even be home before you read this, because you're always dead to the world until four in the morning if you've already slipped into that sports coma, which you have done tonight.