Just What I Needed (36)

“Hey stranger,” said Keely, pressing the phone to her ear. Distractedly she sent a little wave in Mr Englis' direction with the hand that held her travelling mug before pushing through the front doors of the hotel with her hip.

The smile was apparent in Jenny's voice as she answered, “Hi, it feels like we haven't talked in forever.”

Chuckling she shook her head, replied, “Coop, it's been two days!” Standing on the corner of the typically damp street, she pondered grabbing a cab to take her to the UAE Records. It was rather cold outside, proved by the leather jacket, dark jeans with no rips and the black toque she had over her fiery red hair.

Yet she still decided to walk instead of just hailing one of the many flashy yellow cabs that were passing by, because she'd never really been comfortable talking on the phone while another person was around, it just felt rude somehow. Unless the person you were standing beside was drunk. That was the one exception. So she set off down the road, dodging between people with ease as she straightened her bag over her shoulder, keeping the phone tight to her ear.

“You're not doing anything, right?”

Taking a hasty sip of her coffee, Keely retorted, “Not at the moment, just getting my daily exercise. You've got me on a rare free moment, I'm walking down to UAE as we speak to hold auditions for my back up band.”

Jenny made an interested sound in the back of her throat. “Do you have anyone in mind for the tour yet?”

“No, Seth has been keeping the list under wraps,” Keely said, scowling at the memory. Mr Seth Ryan – or whatever his real last name was – had decided it would be incredibly funny to literally hold the list of bands that would be trying out over her head, seeing as her height could not compare to his six foot two, there had been no competition.

“He likes to annoy you,” informed Jenny.

Snorting, she looked across the road before hastily crossing, skipping lightly over the puddles building at the curb. “I think I've found that one out for myself.”

She laughed, “Well at least you're not going to murder him.

“I wouldn't be so sure.”

The girl laughed again, before saying, “So... have you been hanging out with Marco lately?”

Instantly the smile spread across her face. Those two were just too cute. Just the day before Marco had been asking her, in that sly secretive tone, if she had talked to Miss Jennifer Cooper lately. Although Keely knew very well that if it kept going on in such a fashion, it would begin to sound annoyingly like teenagers. The same thing had happened when Joe and Haley had first gone out, started out cute and turned sour in her mind.

“Yes, I went out with him and Colton for Chinese food yesterday. And you know what? You're nineteen, he's twenty one, it's time to get over the whole high school “did he mention me” stuff soon, Jenny.”

“That's so not what this is!” she protested.

Chuckling, Keely answered, “Yeah, yeah, yeah, like I haven't heard that before. But just so you know, he was asking about you too.”

With that she cut the line quickly, Keely thought that would be a good point. The last part of a conversation is what sticks in your mind the longest, right? That's what they say. So let that settle in the girl's mind and maybe, just maybe, they'll figure it all out before the get annoying like Joe and Hales.

There was still a while for her to walk until she got to UAE, but that didn't really bother her. All Keely did was slip on her headphones, search quickly through her music, decide that The Dandy Warhols had it and she was good to go.