CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

I lazily walked into the living room with Raymond following me. Fortunately Garrett wasn't home today which meant I could freely let Raymond in through the front door. It was a shitty day at school. Stacey went off to the beach with Joey so Raymond and I decided to just chill out.

As we approached the living room I heard some sounds that got louder as we entered. I spotted Mom sitting there with her face burried in her handkerchief and Sarah sat by her side with her arm around Mom's shoulder.

I went to them, "Mom?"

She looked at me and I saw her swollen eyes. She had been crying.

"Zach.." Was all she said and she started weeping again.

The earth beneath me shifted as I panicked.

Zach.

What happened to him?

"Mom? What's wrong? Tell me!"

"Clair called me. She said Zach ran away. She doesn't know where he is. And his phone is out of reach."

Thank God!

I let out the breath that I was holding.

"He's probably gone somewhere with his friends Mom. I know him well."

"No. All his friends are in New York. Only he is missing." Mom said between sobs.

"I think you should go and be with Clair," she added.

Are you kidding me right now? I wasn't going anywhere just because Mom wanted me to go. I knew Zach. He was a responsible guy. He wouldn't do anything foolish.

"Well, Dad's in New York. Why don't you ask him to do something?" I said in a loud voice.

"He's got work." She mumbled.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"HE'S GOT WORK!" She was now standing as she yelled at me.

"Right! As always, work is more important than family." I said disgustingly.

"This isn't about you, Ashley. It's about my sister!"

"Exactly Mom, your mouth bidden sister! Why the hell am I supposed to be worried?"

"Oh really? I thought you had a thing for Zach." Mom smirked.

I was furious now.

This lady can't be my mother. I hated her so much. How could her thoughts be so vile?

"Fúck you." I spitted out.

"Ashley!" Sarah, who quietly witnessed our fight, now said.

"Don't you dare get into this." I warned her through gritted teeth. She flinched and stepped back.

My phone rang. I pulled it out of my jeans pocket and picked it up.

"Clair! Hi," I said but she just started blabbering.

"Ash! Help me. I can't find him anywhere. I am so worried. Please do something. He was here yesterday night and today morning he's gone. He left a note saying 'I won't be back soon. Love you. Zach.' Ash please come to New York. Do something!" She cried.

"Clair, calm down. I'll call you back later." I looked at Mom.

"Please go." She pleaded.

How fake.