CHAPTER NINETEEN

Next morning, I got up to my phone's constant ringing.

Stacey.

"Hey Stace," I groaned.

"WHERE. ARE. YOU.?!" She said slowly, threatening me, as if.

"New York."

"Ashie! That's so irresponsible of you. You didn't even inform me before you left. I could have joined you. Don't you understand? You know I love New York! I could shop, eat, dance and what not. I mean, do you have any idea how much you've upset me with this deed of yours? And how come you let Raymond accompany you when I am supposed to be your first priority? ... "

That was when I disconnected the call.

Raymond.

I quickly got out of bed, ignoring Stacey's calls, since I could make up for it later, and went to get ready.

Once done, I went out of the room and down the stairs only to bump into Aunt Clair. She gave me a sad smile and led me to the kitchen. Handing me a bowl of cereal she asked, "So where do we start from?"

"Start what?" I blurted out.

"Zach.." She trailed off as her eyes moistened.

Oh crap.

Zach!

Right. He was the reason I was here in the first place.

"Sure.. Right. Um, I'll see what I can get from his friends," I uneasily said wondering where the hell Raymond was.

"Raymond said he'll be out doing some work, just in case you're wondering." Aunt Clair said as she squeezed my hand gently and left.

I let out a loud sigh. I finished breakfast and hurried up the stairs and inside Zach's room making sure to lock it behind me.

I went through all the drawers in his study desk and in the closet but couldn't find what I was looking for. I went to the bathroom and opened the only compartment there was and found it.

I took the disposable phone out of the zip lock pouch and dialled the only number it had.

Zach's.

He picked it up immediately, "What took you so long, Ash?"

"Where the hell are you? And what do you think of yourself? Just disappeared without informing anyone! You could have at least told me. One text! That was all you had to do..."

"Shush," he interrupted me and continued, "I'm just next door. Can you come over to meet me?"

"WHAT?!"

"Ash! Don't overreact! Just come! I need to see you," he said.

"Okay I'll be right there." I said and hung up the phone.

I went down the stairs and out the front door where I saw Raymond walking up the street towards the house.

I quickly turned around to go inside the house and went to the back door to find out that it was locked. I found a bunch of keys in the drawer beside the door and tried them one by one. The third one fit perfectly and I unlocked the door and bolted out.

"Snow!" I heard Raymond shout from behind me but I was out by then.

I ran to the fence and jumped over it as I landed in the neighbourhood backyard.

I glanced up at the windows and saw Zach waving at me. I went to the door and knocked for him to open it.

I was engulfed into his arms as soon as he opened the door. It felt good to be near him after so long.