Chapter Twelve

When Faye came downstairs from the girls dorm, Kefira introduced her to Neville. Faye greeted him kindly while Neville settled with a small wave.

Faye suggested that they head to the Great Hall to get something to eat considering they were all awake, but Kefira stopped the two of them.

"I want to try something before we go." Kefira said. "Neville I need your help."

"My help?" the boy looked as though she had asked him to slice off his finger.

"Yes, it won't require much. When I tell you to, just try to come upstairs." she told him as she went to go upstairs.

"But boys aren't allowed in the girl's dorms."

"Exactly!" Kefira grinned before she ran off.

'I-I don't understand." Neville said to Faye.

"I think it's better not to question."

"Okay now!" Kefira's voice alerted the two.

Neville frowned, he didn't want to get into trouble, especially on the first day there. What would his grandmother think if she found out he got in trouble for trying to enter the girl's dorm.

"I don't want to do this."

"Relax Neville." Faye said. "I don't think Kefira's intentions are to get you in trouble."

"Come on!" Kefira whined.

Neville sighed as he took a shaky steps the stairs. As soon as his feet touched the stairs, the stairs converted to a slide, causing his foot to slip off while Kefira came sliding down.

She landed on the ground between him and Faye laughing.

"That was amazing! Faye you should give it a go!" Kefira said as Faye helped her to her feet.

"Maybe later, Kefi. Right now let's just get some breakfast."

"Alright...although I wonder if the boy's dorm does the same?"

Neville focused on his meal as he sat at breakfast with Faye and Kefira who talked about the upcoming year.

So far his year had gotten off to a horrid start. He had been sorted into Gryffindor after much arguing with the hat, and to further embarrass himself, when the hat shouted he had raced off the stool with with hat still on his head.

Then on his way to the Gryffindor Tower, the poltergeist that wandered the halls of the school, called Peeves, thought it would be a nice welcome gift to drop a bundle of walking sticks on his head. Many of the students passed him as if he didn't exist, which he seemed to be okay with.

However, it seemed one person continued to find him over and over. Or rather his toad continued to find her and bring them together.

Kefira had a loud personality, nothing like what Neville had grown up with his grandmother. 

He had grown to  prefer the quiet because it normally meant that he hadn't done something wrong for his grandmother to scold him.

But the quiet never seemed welcomed by Kefira.

"Why are you so quiet, Neville?"

She confused him greatly whenever she spoke to him. With her outgoing personality and the obvious ability of making friends easily, he didn't understand why she continued to speak with him. Why did she always try to include him in conversations after he made it quite clear that he was rubbish at talking.

"I don't have anything to say." he told her.

Kefira frowned at the boy's defeated demeanor, curious as to what had caused him to be so shy and nervous around people.  His laugh proved earlier that he had a sense of humor, even if it was comparable to her father's.

She didn't believe that he had nothing to say.

 Neville Longbottom had a lot to say, he just had to find his voice.

Just as she was about to continue coaxing him to speak, she was interrupted by Dean and Seamus coming into the Great Hall. Upon seeing her, the two boys greeted her, Seamus flipping Kefira's hair in passing.

"Oi, knock it off Finnigan!" she said pressing down on her hair. "You're going to mess up my mane."

"Your mane?" Dean laughed as he sat down.

"Yes." she said pushing her already frizzing hair back. However, a curl decided to be stubborn and fall in front of her eyes. She sighed blowing it out of her face, but it continued to fall back into her face.

"Great, thanks a lot Seamus. My hair is crazy enough on it's own, but you touching it made it worse. It's very temperamental."

"Pfft, it's just hair!" Seamus said with an eye roll.

"It might just be hair to you considering you have next to none."

Seamus glared at her before breaking into a grin, the table sharing in a laugh.

"Did you end up finding Trevor this morning, Nev?" Dean asked him.

"Hu- oh, yes. Actually, Kefira found him...even though he wasn't lost to begin with." he said the last part in a lower voice.

"You and the toad becoming mates?" Seamus teased Kefira.

While the two broke into another bicker session much to Faye's amusement, Dean turned back to Neville.

"Sorry I didn't get up to help you. I'm not great in the mornings, I couldn't even tell you my name if you asked me first thing in the morning."

"S'alright." Neville told him. "I guess if I ever think he's missing, I should just check in with Kefira."

Kefira sudden hit Seamus in the face with a piece of egg.

"Or maybe I'll look first and then ask. Maybe."