Chapter Forty Eight

"Neville, where are you going?" Faye asked as Neville collected his wand and left the hall. " We shouldn't leave on our own, you heard what the professors said, we should always be traveling with someone."

"I'm going to find Kefi." he answered the girl. "She's out there by herself right now."

"She's probably just gone back to the dorms." she said. "You should stay here."

"I don't think so." Neville said. 

"Maybe you should just let her cool off, mate." Dean said. "I know you want to comfort her when she's upset. But she was really upset, she might just need a moment to herself. She might end up swinging at you."

"I don't care if she hits me. She shouldn't be roaming the halls at night, it's dangerous. Besides it's all my fault." Neville said grabbing his head.

"How is it your fault? Kefira walked out on her own." Seamus said.

"Because she got upset defending me. All because I didn't stick up for myself."

"Neville, it-"

Neville ignored the three trying to get him to stay until the end of the meeting but instead the boy left in search of his friend. He didn't think Kefira would return to the dorms and just go to sleep, normally when she was angry, she had a burst of energy which meant she was probably walking around, cursing under her breath.

He cautiously peeked down several hallways, in hopes that nothing would jump out at him in the evening hours. The halls were empty and quiet which unnerved him even more.

"Come Kefi, where are you?"

"Mr. Longbottom!"

He squeaked and spun around to see Professor McGonagall standing at the end of the hall, her arms crossed over her chest and her expression stern.

"What are you doing roaming the halls at this hour, Mr. Longbottom? You should either be at the Dueling Club meeting, or in the dorms."

"I'm sorry Professor," he said quickly," but I was at the Dueling Club meeting until Kefira left a short while ago. She was really upset and...I don't know where she is."

"Well, have you checked the dorms?"

"She wouldn't go to the dorms, Professor. I know she wouldn't."

McGonagall knew the truth behind that statement, knowing how many times she had caught the girl roaming the halls.

"You shouldn't be out here-" she began but Neville interrupted her much to her surprise.

"I just want to find her and make sure she's alright. That's all."

"Very well." the woman sighed. "Let's see where she's run off to."

"What caused her to be upset?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"Err...P-p-professor Snape."

"Oh I should have known." McGonagall was completely confused by the relationship between the potions master and the fiery little girl. Actually, the majority of the Hogwarts staff was. He showed no interest in her, yet he had assisted her parents in getting her an owl and collecting her school supplies for her. Normally, after the first year it was left on the families to see that their child was properly set for the school year.

Then Kefira seemed to be serving multiple detentions with the professor as well, but not the typical detentions that students found themselves with during detentions with him. She was actually learning during her detentions and in seemed in cases that McGonagall witnessed that Kefira was enjoying them.

Kefira didn't pick up tasks easily like students such as Hermione Granger, however, she worked hard enough to learn. She couldn't sit still during class periods but she would come after class to her professors and try to pick up on what she missed. Then there was the Longbottom boy that while he couldn't perform well, he was certainly good at teaching. At least, he was able to teach the girl.

The woman peered down at Neville, watching the fear etched on his face as his eyes darted all around looking for his friend.

It was an unlikely friendship that even McGonagall had to admit, she didn't understand. A girl so fearless hanging out with a boy who jumped at the sight of his shadow.

"I-I-I hope she's okay." Neville whispered mainly to himself but loud enough for the woman to hear.

"I am more than certain she is fine, Mr. Longbottom. As many halls as we've been down, I'm beginning to think she might have just gone back to the dorms. We should go look there, the Fat Lady-"

"Elizabeth." Neville corrected the woman, but immediately his eyes widened, realizing what he had done.

"Pardon?"

"Sorry Professor, it's just the Fat Lady's name is Elizabeth."

"And how did you come upon that information?"

"Kefi. She asked her last year."

"Of course she did."

"Minevra! Min-"

The two turned around to see Professor Sprout scurrying down the hall.

"You must come quickly." Professor Sprout told the woman. "There's been another attack. A student."

"Oh no." Neville shook his head as Professor Sprout's eyes fell on him. "Oh...I'm so sorry...I..."

"Who was it?" McGonagall asked, but she already knew the answer to her question.

"It was Kefira Walsh."