Chapter Thirty Two

Kefira took a step back as Professor Snape glare was more intimidating than usual. He took a step towards her, anger apparent in his eyes, but he quickly stopped himself. The girl met his gaze, his eyes dark while Kefira remained frowning at him.

"You...get out." Snape sneered at her.

Kefira kept her feet firmly planted as if she was almost challenging him.

"I said-"

"I heard what you said!" she said finally. "What I didn't hear is what you're going to do about the situation. You know what Draco has done in the past and you know Neville would never be the one to start a fight...so what are you going to do about it? Are you going to let the bully get away with it or are you going to do the right thing?"

"I am going to give you to the count of three to return back to the dorms before I give you detention until the end of the year."

She shook her head in disappointment at the professor.

"What is it? Is it because Draco's a pureblood, is that why you favor him? Does it make a difference being a muggle-born?"

All the man could hear was Lily's voice as Kefira spoke the latter question.

"No. It doesn't make any difference." he had once told Lily. 

He stared at Kefira.

"You will report to detention this evening at eight."

"Yeah, whatever." she scoffed at him before turning on her heel and leaving the classroom. But not before he heard the word "pathetic" muttered under her breath.

Instead of returning to the dorms as instructed, she was sure that Neville had been brought to the Hospital Wing. She was hoping to find him there and awake as she walked through the halls, still obviously angry as she stomped her feet.

Her eyes burned at the angry tears that threatened to fall. She quickly wiped at her eyes as she made her way to the Hospital Wing.

Much to her relief, Kefira found Neville awake and  smiling. She put on a brave smile and walked over to him.

"There you are." she said. "Are you okay?"

"Yes." Neville smiled. "I'm fine. Madam Pomfrey said I'll be as good as new here shortly."

Kefira sat across from him on the bed crossing her legs beneath her.

"That is a pretty nasty gash on your head.." she told him, Neville winced as he went to touch it. "But you should see what you did to Crabbe and Goyle. I din't think it was possible for them to look any uglier."

Neville laughed leaning back into his pillow. "I..I don't know what overcame me. But-"

"You were incredibly brave, Nev." Kefira said. "You were amazing. You should have see Draco's face when you and Ron went at him...it was great! You were great."

"Thanks Kefira." He said proudly, but he suddenly saw her expression fall. "Are you okay? They didn't hurt you, did they?"

"Me? No way. I got a good swing in myself but...I have detention." she sighed.

"What?! But why?" He sat straight up.

"Because Professor Snape is a complete git." she said crossing her arms. "I'm sure Draco will get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, while I'll be in detention for all eternity."

"No, he can't do that! You didn't start it! I'll go to him and explain-"

"Don't bother Neville. Do you really want to be the same room with him if you can help it."

"But it's not fair Kefi." Neville said.

"Life isn't fair all the time, but don't worry. I've suffered through detention with him before, I can certainly do it again."

"You shouldn't be in detention, I should be..."

"No, Draco should be."

Ten minutes before eight that evening, Kefira slipped out of the Gryffindor Tower.

"And where are you headed?" The Fat Lady asked her.

"Detention unfortunately."

The portrait frowned. "How did you manage to get this one?"

"To be honest, Elizabeth, I'm not really sure."

Entering the Potions classroom, she found Professor Snape sitting at his desk waiting for her to enter. She didn't bother looking at him as she sat at one of the tables quietly.

She could hear him rise from his chair, and a few moments later, a cauldron, a Potions book and several ingredients were laid out before her.

"You are to complete the potion found on page sixty, and this time you may only leave when I allow you too. Need I remind you that if I see that you've made any mistake-"

"You'll dump my cauldron out...yeah don't worry I didn't forget." she told him gruffly as she snatched up the book to turn to the instructed page.

The detention seemed to last forever, time after time, Snape poured out the contents in her cauldron, leaving Kefira wanting to pull out her hair in frustration. But she didn't quit, she wouldn't give the man the satisfaction of watching her give up. She continued to work and work, eventually after the second hour, he left her alone, giving her the idea that she was doing the potion correctly.

However, little did she know behind his desk, Professor Snape was looking down at the small book in one of the drawers of his desk. The Christmas gift he had received from her, staring at him unopened. He glanced up at the girl who was working diligently, no matter how many times he poured out her cauldron, she started right back determined to figure out the potion.

He grabbed the small book and placed it in his lap, debating whether to turn it to page three hundred and ninety four as she advised him to do.

He opened it up to the first page and read the childish joke with an eye roll,getting ready to close the book over again. But curiosity had a strong grip on him as he found himself turning to the selected page.

Forcing himself to read it, he didn't understand the humor behind puns. Letting out a heavy sigh, Snape looked up again and found Kefira asleep at the table.

Rising to his feet, he walked over to the table to examine the potion.

"Correct."