Chapter Twenty Three

"I wonder how Kefi's detention went last night," Neville told Dean as they headed to Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

"Well, I saw her in the Great Hall this morning, so she's alive at least." Dean said. "That's got to count for something right?"

"It's really all my fault that she got detention in the first place." Neville admitted.

"Nev, I hardly doubt Kefira blames you." Dean reassured him.

"Yeah, besides it's not like you were the one that told her to recite a rhyme in front of Snape." Seamus added into the conversation. "She really brought the detention on herself."

"Oh really?!"

The boys came to a halt as they heard the voice behind them. They turned to see Kefira, her hands tucked in her robes as she casually strolled over to where they stood in place.

"Hey Kefi." Dean greeted her. "We were just talking about you."

"So I heard." she said looking to Seamus who grinned.

"How did your detention go last night?" Seamus asked her.

"Just fine. Professor Snape had me brew a potion and I did it." she shrugged.

"What potion?" Neville couldn't help but ask curiously.

"Draught of Peace."

Neville's eyes widened. "But that's a fifth year's potion!" he exclaimed.

"I know, but I managed it."

"You're full of it." Seamus told her," there's no way you could have brewed a potion like that! You're only a first year."

"Yeah well, Professor Snape only allowed me to leave after I successfully brewed it and you don't see me in the Potions classroom, do you?" she said smartly before flicking him in the ear.

"Ow!" Seamus growled at her.

Kefira turned to Neville. "Why do you look so sad, Neville? Is it something to do with Trevor?"

"N-no. I just...I just feel bad that I got you detention."

"I told you it wasn't your fault." Kefira said bumping her hip playfully with his. "It really wasn't that bad, Neville. I'm sure it could have been way worse than that."

Kefira managed to keep herself out of trouble for the majority of the week, at least  she didn't get in trouble with Professor Snape or Professor McGonagall. The rest of the professors never seemed all that bothered by her. 

Sitting in Herbology, Kefira glanced down at the plant placed before her as Professor Sprout started her lesson.

The Moly plant, while pretty and delicate looking with its light blue petals, apparently turned out to be quite a strong plant. Mainly used in protection against Dark Enchantments.

Kefira twirled the pretty flower around in her fingers, while Neville opened his book excitedly to read ahead of what Professor Sprout was discussing.

She looked over at him, to see a happy smile on his face as he read on about the properties of the flower.

Neville wasn't big in DADA, nor Potions, Charms was a definite hit or miss along with Transfiguration, but once he was in the Herbology greenhouse, it was obvious the boy was in his element. She grinned before setting her flower down.

"You really like this stuff, don't you?" she asked.

Neville looked up from his book and turned a bright pink. "Don't y-you?"

"I think it's pretty cool, but I can't remember half the stuff that Professor Sprout tells us about each plant. I can't remember which one we can eat and which ones we shouldn't, besides the obvious ones with the awful stench and giant spikes."

Neville let out a small chuckle, quiet enough to not disturb Professor Sprout.

"It's really easy, actually."

"Easy for you...I don't know if I'm cut out for all this magic stuff. Can't seem to remember any of it when I need to." she admitted scratching the back of her head.

"I don't think that's true at all." Neville told her. "You brewed a fifth year potion."

"Yeah well, it's not like I got it on the first try. I'm pretty sure Professor Snape poured out my cauldron about seventeen times."

"But you didn't give up and you didn't. I'm pretty sure there are fifth years who can't even brew that potion. Maybe your calling is potions?"

"I hope not. I'm pretty sure it was inhaling too many potions that made Professor Snape so grumpy." she giggled.

She picked up her Moly flower. "I wonder what it tastes like."

"Kefi I don't think you should-"

Kefira bit down on the flower and chewed upon several of the petals, before stopping mid chew and making a face.

"I'm taking that it doesn't taste very well." Neville said.

Suddenly, she spit it out to the side causing the class to look over and snicker in their direction. Professor Sprout walked over and stood at the table Neville and Kefira shared.

"Miss Walsh, did you eat your Moly?"

"Yes...well, I chewed on it but then I spit it out. Tasted awful."

Professor Sprout sighed. "You weren't supposed to chew on it right now." she told the girl.

Kefira didn't respond as she wiped her tongue on the sleeve of her robe.

"ICK! If Professor Snape really wanted to give me a horrible detention, he should have just made me chew on a Moly flower. For such a pretty flower, it taste like absolute death. I still can't get the taste out of my mouth." Kefira told Neville and Faye.

"Why did you chew on it to begin with?" Faye asked.

"I was curious!" Kefira said.

"We can go to the Great Hall and get you something to wash the taste out of your mouth." Neville offered.

"Yes please!"

Kefira hopped onto Neville's back nearly knocking him forward.

"What are you doing?!" Neville said.

"Onward!" Kefira pointed forward.

Neville looked to Faye but the girl only shrugged her shoulders before they walked on.

He still had Kefira on his back who was considerably light so it wasn't much of a struggle to carry her to the Great Hall. Suddenly, the three caught sight of Professor Snape walking the same hall.

"Hi Professor Snape!" Kefira waved at the man.

Professor Snape eyed the three, especially Kefira before walking on with a slight shake of his head.

"Can't you just tell that we're going to be best friends?" Kefira grinned at her friends.