Chapter Thirty Nine

Kefira and Neville spoke through the night, their conversation mainly consisted of Kefira reassuring Neville that he had done the right thing sticking up to his friends. She knew that Neville wasn't used to speaking out against people, but the fact that he did, Kefira continued to praise him until she fell asleep on the sofa.

Neville fell asleep, still bothered by the fact that he couldn't stop Harry, Hermione and Ron from getting into whatever trouble they faced that evening, but proud of himself for stepping out of his comfort zone and doing what he felt was right. 

The first year had flown by for both students. Kefira was getting used to the fact of having magic in her life everyday, and Neville was getting used to the fact of not allowing himself to be a complete pushover. 

And the both of them were getting used to having actual friends.

Dressed in her robes, Kefira prepared herself for the end of the term feast that would take place that evening. She struggled to slip her foot in her shoe, while Faye and Neville waited for her at the portrait.

"Come on, Kefi!" Faye called.

"I'm coming, it's just this shoe...you know what! I'm not wearing any!" she said walking passed them with her shoes in hand.

Faye turned to Neville who shrugged. "There's no sense in arguing with her. She doesn't listen to the professors half the time, she's not going to listen to us." Neville told the girl before following Kefira.

Ducking into the Great Hall, Kefira was able to sit down without being caught by any of the professors for the lack of proper footwear. She sat down between Neville and Faye and looked over to where the professors sat.

Whispers circulated around about the adventure Harry experienced with Ron and Hermione. Kefira had to admit, she was jealous that they had such an exciting time, but she was still pretty ticked at them for cursing Neville.

Besides that, she really enjoyed the time speaking with Neville, as she listened to him open up about his parents. She didn't have anything to share to that extent as her family remained together, but it definitely made her appreciate and cherish every memory and moment she shared with each of her family members.

Once all the students and faculty were settled in the Great Hall for the final feast, Dumbledore rose to his feet.

"Another year gone." he began grabbing everyone's attention. "And now as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarding."

Kefira made a face as the Slytherin table looked a little too pleased with themselves, knowing they were the obvious winners. She wouldn't be surprised if the Gryffindor house points were in the negatives with how much they had lost through the school year. She was definitely responsible for a good amount.

"In fourth place, Gryffindor with three hundred and twelve points."

Kefira turned to Neville and actually seemed quite pleased. "That's actually a lot better than I expected."

"In third place, Hufflepuff with three hundred and fifty two points. In second place, Ravenclaw with four hundred and twenty six points."

"Bunch of overachievers." Fred whispered across the table to them making Kefira smile.

"And in first place with four hundred and seventy two points...Slytherin house."

Neville and Faye held down Kefira who had the sudden urge to jump onto the table and boo in the direction of the Slytherin table as they cheered obnoxiously loud.

"Yes, yes, well done Slytherin. Well done Slytherin. However..."

Kefira turned her attention back to the Headmaster curiously.

"....Recent events must be taken into account and I have a few last minute points to award."

The Gryffindor table was in astonishment as Hermione was awarded fifty points for her intellect and then Ron was awarded another fifty points for playing the best game of chess that the school had witnessed in many years.

Kefira had no idea what was going on but she wasn't going to question it.

"And third to Mr. Harry Potter for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points!"

The Gryffindor table applauded loudly for the three as Hermione pointed out that they were tied with Slytherin.

"And finally, " Dumbledore continued, " it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom."

Neville didn't respond at first completely in shock and awe that he had been called brave by the headmaster himself.

"Neville!" Kefira shook him. "It's you! He was talking about you! We won! We won the house cup because of you!"

"M-me?"

"Yes! You!" Kefira laughed as she hugged him. "All because you were incredibly brave! See, didn't I tell you? That inner lion showed up that was inside of you all along."

Neville grinned at her as the Gryffindor students threw their hats into the air in celebration.

The perfect ending to their first year at Hogwarts. Neville could only wonder what else was in store for him and his friends?