Chapter Thirty

Faye came down the stairs from the girl's dorm one morning to find Neville waiting patiently.

"What are you doing?" she asked him.

"Waiting on Kefi's signal." he said.

"Ah, I should have known." Faye said with a shake of her head. The two waited until they heard Kefira call down the stairs.

"Ready!"

Neville put his foot out and touched one of the stairs allowing Kefira to slide down. However, this time she came sliding down in her socks standing up right.

 She made her way into the common room in style and without falling flat on her face as expected.

"That was...incredibly smooth." Faye chuckled.

"Thank you." Kefira bowed. "Neville's been helping me practice."

"You should have seen the first attempt." Neville said looking away. "That was something else."

"Yeah still got the bruise from that one." Kefira said rubbing her back. "Anyways, are you guys ready for class?"

Kefira tried to focus on the lesson that Professor McGonagall was lecturing to the class, but on multiple occasions found herself distracted and looking around the classroom for some source of entertainment.

It was fun to watch McGonagall turn mice into snuffboxes, but after awhile Kefira lost interest altogether.

"Are you alright?" Neville asked her, feeling her leg shaking up and down beside him.

"Yeah I'm fine. I'm just bored."

Neville looked at her baffled by her response. "You're bored?"

"I just want to get up and move around, sitting here is just killing me right now. We're not doing anything." she huffed.

Lectures were always hard for Kefira, if they weren't doing anything hands on, she became distracted or antsy. Both of which didn't help Kefira stay out of trouble.

She wanted to learn but she couldn't bring herself to listen anymore. She did everything to keep herself entertained from swishing her quill around, to tapping her fingers upon the table but nothing seemed to be working.

Neville feared that she would draw attention to herself and wind up in trouble again. He saw McGonagall glancing over in their direction several times, eyeing Kefira to make sure she wasn't disrupting the class.

Normally at home when Kefira got into one of her states her mother would allow her to leave the table and go outside for a bit to burn some energy. Or she would provide the girl with something to stimulate her need to do something.

Finally, the class came to an end and Kefira was free to leave her seat and moved around. Neville followed her as she walked down the hall towards the entrance leading outside.

"You're going outside?" Neville asked her noting how cold it was at that point.

"I need to do something right now. That class about killed me."

"You haven't gotten this...well like this in classes before."

"I know but that's because we're always doing something. Just sitting there and listening...it's pure torture."

"Well..." Neville bit his lower lip. "I don't want you to go outside alone, so can we at least head back to the tower so I can grab something warmer to wear. You should do the same."

Kefira smiled and nodded. "Yeah we can do that."

Once they were all bundled up, they were fully prepared to brace the snow. Neville laughed quietly to himself as Kefira refused to wear a hat, as he realized that it would probably be impossible to every lose sight of Kefira even during the heaviest of blizzards because of her hair.

"Hey Neville, check this out." Kefira called to him.

He glanced over to see her holding up snow to her face like a beard. 

"Look, I'm Professor Dumbledore." she said making them both giggle.

Even though he was freezing within twenty minutes of being outside, Neville remained outside with Kefira for two hours until she had worn herself out somewhat and decided to head back inside.

Back in the common room, the two sat in front of the fire trying to warm up their numb little fingers and toes.

Trevor had hopped over to them and then onto Kefira's shoulder where he remained for the time being.

"I wonder what we're going to learn in Potions tomorrow." Kefira said out loud.

Neville shrugged his shoulders slightly. "I don't know. Are you actually looking forward to that class?"

She smiled. "I sort of am. Is that weird?"

"No." Neville shook his head. "At least I don't think so. "

"I may not be the best at potions but I find it really interesting. Learning about all the ingredients and such. But I guess I really like it, because I'm always doing something." she chuckled.

"Well maybe that's your calling. Maybe your strong class will be potions...which is great...if you don't end up like Professor Snape." he said making a face.

"No, I don't think I could end up like him. He's too sad. I mean something really really bad would have to end up happening for me to be that upset all the time."

"Upset? I think he's just mean." Neville said.

"I don't think people are born mean, though. I think stuff happens that make them like that."

"So you think something really really bad happened to Professor Snape?" Neville asked her.

"I guess so. Why else would he be like that, I don't think he would choose to be grumpy. I hope that joke book helps him out."

"Me too." he agreed.

"Although, I can totally see him liking the lamest knock-knock jokes."