Chapter Sixteen

Somehow escaping a giant three headed dog, and making it back to the Gryffindor Tower without getting caught, the group of four counted their blessings as they reached the Common Room. Ron and Harry left to the boy's dorm shortly after while Hermione left to the girl's dorm.

Kefira plopped down on the sofa with a laugh.

"How could you possibly be laughing after all that happened?" Neville asked sitting beside her.

"Easy, there's not much to be upset about. We're alive aren't we? And we didn't get caught. It was a lot of fun."

"Fun?" Neville repeated. "You found that fun?"

"You didn't? Come on, Nev, where is your sense of adventure! How many other students can see they witnessed what we did this evening?"

"Not many considering it's forbidden to go up there." Neville answered.

"Do you always do as you're told?" she asked him.

"Yes."

"That's your problem, Neville."

"My problem?"

"Yes...you can't always do what you're told. You're supposed to get into trouble that's what childhood is all about. Making stupid mistakes."

"I get into trouble even when I'm doing what I'm told." Neville admitted.

"Why's that?" Kefira asked.

"Well, it seems I can't do anything right, at least that's how my grandmother views me."

"That doesn't sound very nice." Kefira frowned. 

"But it's true. You know for most of my life, my family thought I was a squib."

"I don't know what that is. Is it like a cross between a bear and squid?"

Neville laughed.

"Um..no. That's not what it is. A squib is someone who's born without magical, but has at least one magical parent. They're not looked upon very well."

"Well apparently my kind isn't so great either. All I've heard since I found out that I was a witch all I've heard is muggle-born. As if there's really any difference? I mean at the end of the day we're still capable of doing the same things aren't we? I don't see why we need to be labeled as such." she huffed.

"There shouldn't be labels." Neville agreed.

Kefira leaned back. "So how did they find out you weren't a squib?" she asked.

"My great uncle Algie, he was holding me outside of a window by my feet-"

"What?!"

"-and when he was offered some lemon meringue and suddenly he let me go."

Kefira's eyes widened. " He let you go and you survived?"

"I bounced." Neville told her.

"No way!"

"It's true!"

"You bounced...that's crazy."

"No what's crazy is what my family did before I bounced."

"Alright, I need to hear this."

"One time they tossed me over Blackpool pier...nearly drowned that time."

"How does being thrown off a pier or being dropped out of window determine if you're magical? I would just think it would prove your family was mad."

Kefira's choice of words stung, Neville, but he wouldn't let her know that. Kefira had no idea of the fate his parents suffered.

"Yeah it was pretty...bad. But when you're born into magic, most children show some magic abilities as babies."

"Like what?"

"Like making their toys move, among other things."

"Oh...I don't think I did any of those things." Kefira said.

"Maybe you did."

"Nah, my mother would have flipped out if she noticed something like that." Kefira said. "One of my sisters got one of those temporary tattoos, you know which ones I'm talking about? You dab a little water on your arm and it sticks...well the one she had on her arm looked really real. My mum was all in an uproar, trust me, she watches us like a hawk. I think she would have noticed if something was up especially me, she watches me a little too closely."

"Why's that?"

"I'm the youngest for one, and I tended to um...test the boundaries....a lot."

"You mean get into trouble?"

"Exactly."

"You go looking for trouble?"

"Trouble seems to find me is more like it, but I certainly welcome it."

The two ended up staying up a great deal longer sharing stories of their childhood. Neville was talking about his uncle Algie when he looked over and saw Kefira had fallen asleep.

"Uh...Kefi?"

"Hey Faye!"

Faye turned around as she walked down the hall and saw Kefira running towards her.

"Kefira...why are you running?" Faye asked but her question was answered as she noticed Kefira holding her shoes in one hand and suddenly came sliding down passed her.

"What-"

"Check it out! These floors are perfect for sock sliding!"

Faye shook her head with a laugh as Kefira continued to zoom back and forth.

"You should try it."

"I don't want to bust my bum in the middle of the hall!" Faye told her.

"Don't be such a baby." Kefira said sliding passed one last time only to crash into two people knocking them down.

"Look Georgie, it's the lost Weasley."

"And she has no shoes on."

"They were pinching my toes." she said. "Besides this is so much easier and way more fun to get from class to class."

"I like the way she thinks."

Suddenly, the three were approached by Professor McGonagall who looked down to the three students in her house.

"Miss Walsh why aren't you wearing your shoes?"

"Well Professor, you see, I found them to be awfully constricting.."

"Miss Walsh we do not walk the halls of this school barefoot."

"Technically I'm not barefoot." she said wiggling her toes noting her socks.

McGonagall pinched the bridge of her nose. "Please put your shoes back on, Miss Walsh and keep them on your feet unless you are in the comfort of your dorm or common room."

"Can I slide down the hall one last time?" she asked with a hopeful look.

"No, you may not. Shoes...back on your feet."

Kefira huffed in protest as she slipped her shoes back on. McGonagall left after a shake of her head, as Kefira watched her disappear around a corner.

She quickly pulled them back off.

"Much better."