Chapter Eighty Seven

Kefira was dreading Potions, after the class that took place before the break, she certainly didn't want to see Professor Snape, and it hurt that she felt that way. She had hoped over time that the professor would eventually warm up and be a little nicer. She wasn't expecting him to do cartwheels and greet her with cupcakes, but she had at least hoped for a smile. She didn't want to dislike him, but he was making it so hard for her to like him as a person.

The things he said to Neville and her classmates, he seemed to pick on them for no reason besides the fact that they existed.

She walked into the cold classroom with Neville beside her and took her seat. She could see the sulky professor standing behind his desk getting things organized for the lesson they were preparing to go over. Upon them entering the class, he glanced over in their direction but Kefira immediately averted her gaze back to Neville.

"What are you doing?" she asked looking over his shoulder as he was jotting several things down on a piece of paper.

He sighed and turned to her. "Promise you won't laugh?"

"Oh come on, Neville, you know I would never laugh at you unless you told me a joke or something. What is it?"

"I've been writing down the passwords that Sir Cadogan has been giving us."

"Why?"

"Because he changes them so often. I can't keep up. He changes them all the time, I've been locked out of the tower four times already."

"That guy is nuts. I heard he's known for his insane bravery, but I'm beginning they just added bravery on the end to make it sound a lot nicer. I think he's just insane. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I don't worry about the passwords Neville, I can help you out."

"But I don't want to solely rely on you, no offense. What if you're not around and I need to get into the dorms?"

"Why wouldn't I be around?" Kefira asked in confusion.

"Perhaps Mr. Longbottom is actually benefiting from one of his classes and seeing your future in detention."

The two glanced up to see Professor Snape standing before their table. Neville scooted his chair back but Kefira rolled her eyes and placed her chin in her hand.

"That wasn't very nice." she mumbled.

"Neither is talking during class."

"Class doesn't start for another five minutes. We were early!"

"Once you are in my classroom you are to remain silent." Professor Snape told her harshly.

Kefira took a deep breath trying to hold back the anger she felt for the bully of a teacher.

She made a motion of zipping up her lips and throwing away the key.

However, Severus got more than he asked for during the class as once he told her to remain silent, the girl didn't say anything. She didn't answer his questions, but the problem was she was doing exactly what she had been told and it irritated him to no end.

When the class was over, he ordered everyone out of the classroom but told her to stay behind for a moment. She let out a heavy sigh before turning to him quietly.

"I do not understand what little game you think you are playing in class but when you are called upon to answer a question, you are to answer it, do you understand?"

She nodded.

"Do you want another detention?"

She shook her head.

"Answer me." 

Kefira walked out of the classroom.

"I did not dismiss you-"

"Professor Snape, you said that the moment I entered your classroom that I was to remain silent. But I did answer your questions. With a nod of my head I told you that I understood and with a shake of my head I told you I didn't want another detention. Perhaps it is you who needs to make up their mind. Do you want me to talk or not?!"

"I know what you are up to and I will assure that it isn't funny."

"I'm not trying to be funny, I'm trying to get you to stop being so mean all the time! I keep trying to make excuses for you as to why you're so mean and grumpy all the time. You know....None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you."

Severus remained still and said nothing before Kefira shook her head at him and walked away. Her last words to him before her departure had left him in a horrible memory.

He ran after Lily after realizing what had slipped out during the moment of anger after his encounter with the arrogant James Potter and his friends.

"I never meant to call you Mudblood, it just —"

 "Slipped out? It's too late. I've made excuses for you for years. None of my friends can understand why I even talk to you. You and your precious little Death Eater friends... You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine."  Lily told him before walking away.