Christmas

(A/N Accidentally published this unfinished to start with, sorry!)

Sherlock:

Violin melodies soared high from the window of 221b. On any other day the people walking by would be struck down by how empty and melancholy it sounded but today, it was cheerful and light reaching new heights that you'd never heard Sherlock climb before. It was beautiful. There was a hazy atmosphere of warmth within the living room, you squashed in on the sofa with Molly, Greg and an unwilling Mycroft, the fire blazing and everyone relaxing after a wonderful dinner that was cooked by Mrs H and Mary. You did offer to help but they refused to let you anywhere near it because you were best at keeping the Watson's baby entertained. She was asleep now, gorgeous little thing. Lovely Mrs H herself came dancing and singing into the living room, obviously more than a little tipsy. Suddenly, you felt a hand on your shoulder and was aware that the music had stopped, "Oh, Sherlock! You scared me. What's wrong love?" He smirked the slightest bit, the kind that would only pull up half his face, your favorite kind. "I have an extra present for you." Your stomach dropped a little, "Oh no, that's so sweet but I haven't got anything extra for you." 

"I was not expecting anything extra." Gently, he pulled you off the sofa and with his hands on his waist guided you to the center of the room with the softest nudges. "So, as you know. I rarely admit to liking someone. Let alone loving someone and this is a big step. I wanted to do it here, in front of everyone so that you'd believe me and know that I am being 100% honest with you right now. Y/n Y/l/n, I love you." There were tears in your eyes as you whispered your response, unable to push your already breaking voice above that. "I love you too." 

"Good. Otherwise this could be awkward." He dropped down to one knee. There was both a collection of noises around the room and a suspenseful silence. Your heart crashed. He couldn't be proposing. It was too soon. You weren't ready. "Relax, love." His voice, shaky like yours had been, relaxed you. "This isn't a proposal. It's a promise ring. This is my promise to you that I will love you forever. That I will do anything to protect you and will only be married to you when you, and you alone, are ready. So, Y/n Y/l/n do you accept my promise?" You could see the slight embarrassment etched onto his face poorly hiding the sincerity behind his words. "Yes."

John:

"Present time!" Mrs Hudson announced sending a buzz of excitement through the room with two simple words. "So, who's opening their's first?" You wondered out loud. "Well who was here first?" 

"Technically, Sherlock." Molly piped up. "Actually," Interrupted Sherlock, "technically Mrs Hudson." Gesturing towards her with a soft smile. Then John decided he needed to input something this time, "I think Y/n should." A low murmur of agreement later had you casting a questioning look at your boyfriend as he took charge of the situation but all he did was send you a wink. From Molly you got the book you had been talking about for months and from Greg you got a gift card for your favorite shop because 'you already have basically everything from that place, I didn't know what to get you'. From Sherlock you got a new scarf after he burned your old one in an experiment gone wrong, Mrs Hudson gave you a pair of earrings that the two of you had been admiring two weeks ago in town (You got her the same pair!) and Mycroft got you a silver chain bracelet which you had a suspicion Sherlock may or may not have brought for him judging by the way he was just as surprised as you were when it was opened. "Thank you guys, so much! All these are lovely and exactly what I was hoping for. Glad all my hinting got through."

"You sure did enough of it." Murmured Sherlock. "I try." You simply shrugged. Then John turned towards you, "And now for my one." However, instead of reaching under the tree like all the rest he got down on one knee. You had to stop a cry from choking out because this took you by surprise. A lot of surprise, this was the last thing you were expecting. "Y/n. Okay. how do I put this? This isn't an engagement. This is a promise. A simple promise that I intend to keep for a very long time. It is a promise to love you like you deserve. Will you accept that?"