Baby Bonding

Sherlock:

You could feel it. His eyes on your back. This was the second time that morning that you were sitting by the window and staring, dazedly, out into the real world. It was the pain. You found that it was easier to take your mind off of it by being distracted. Since Sherlock was the father and reminded you constantly of the joy that you were due to bring upon the world, he wasn't very useful for distraction. You resorted to imagining the lives of the many people below.

He could see you wincing everytime the pain broke through the barrier you were carefully building up and it made him feel so useless. At times like these he was powerless. He wanted, needed, to do something. To protect you. He had made his mind up.

A hand came down on your shoulder and then one came to a rest on your other shoulder. The fingers began pressing gently into your skin, kneading and massaging the tense hunch out of the skin at the base of your skull. You leaned your head back to rest on the owners body. Sherlock murmured softly, "How are you?"

A small smile flitted momentarily across your face, "A little better. The little one seems to be uneasy. Perhaps there's a storm coming?" The frame you were leaning against jolted slightly as Sherlock laughed under his breath. "That's dogs, love." You simply hummed in response and let yourself get lost in the feeling of his hands on you.

"Perhaps I could be of help?" Confused, you pulled away and half turned towards him. "You already are of help." A bashful smile slid across his face as though on ice. "In a different way." Beginning to get suspicious, you slowly nodded to give him permission and faced the window again. "Just relax. Close your eyes and let yourself let go. You've been holding on too tightly recently and been winding yourself up." Doing as he said, you melted into the chair, hands immediately resting on your slightly bloated stomach.

With your eyes closed, your other senses picked up a lot more. You could hear Sherlock's steady breathing and him moving around to your front. He momentarily blocked the light from the window until he crouched down in front of you.

His hands on your stomach, at first, made you jump but you soon calmed down again. He was hesitant. You could feel that he didn't want to hurt you or the baby, through his touch. The rustle of fabric met your ears again as he leaned forward to place a soft kiss on your stomach. Then you heard it.

The slightest whisper.

"Hey there." He was talking to the baby. Feeling slightly foolish you peeked through your lashes to get a glimpse at him. You didn't want to interrupt him so you held in your giggle.

"Listen. I love your mum. You should too because she is more than we deserve. So you should be treating her well. I'm sure you don't mean to but please ease off for a few days. I haven't seen her smile properly in a long while and I miss that."

Tears sprung to your eyes. Sherlock was letting his guard down again. All the doubts you had hiding in your mind like cobwebs were dusted away. He cared very deeply for you and the baby. Silently, you gripped his hand in yours and made eye contact. Silence. Then you smiled at him.

His face lit up and he went back to your stomach, "There we go. Isn't she beautiful when she's like that. You're going to be proud to have a mum like her. Trust me. We'll try our best to look after you. I promise," he met your eyes again, "We love you dearly. We want to be here for you. You will never be lonely. You will always have us."

A few stray tears tickled your cheeks, "Sherlock." You were too choked up to say much else. Luckily he seemed to understand this and lunged for your lips instead.

Despite the ferocity that he had leaped up with, it was the gentlest he had ever been with you. This was the beginning of a very good life.

John: