Goodbye Forever, Finally

Chapter 20

Monday was terrible even though it was the last week and it all flew by with a blur after that. Classes were simple and it was breezy. Teachers gave out candy and Mrs.B in art gave us all pizza on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure most of us weren't coming back so half the seniors were pranking and bullshitting the week. Danny and I stayed side by side the entire time, he skipped half his classes to join mine and I did the same. No one seemed to mind or say anything so we kept it up. Something had shifted between us in this time and I became more aware of when he'd touch me. His hand was always on me whether it be on my thigh, around my waist, in in my hand, leaving a trail of fire were it skimmed. We left to eat a couple times, Adam and Addi joining us once. We were practically glued at the hip and now it was Friday morning and Danny was no where to be seen. It was the last day and he had said nothing about skipping. Addison had already made her way to class as I stood there shuffling through my locker killing time. Even if it was empty. He came in moments after the late bell, anger written across his face. Seconds after he came in, Alex came in with his arm around Angie. My eyes widened at the scene before me and immediately knew why he was upset. Or at least some of it. His eyes scanned the half empty hall until he found me and his face softened a bit as he made his way over.

"What the hell is that? Isn't that, like, against guy code or something?" I asked after he got to me, my eyes flickering to the absurd display before me.

They were kissing.

He rolled his eye annoyed but a little grin found it's way to his lips.

"He's just being a douche since it's over. He's used to getting his way." He said with a frown. I rolled my eyes this time and laced my fingers through his sending tingles up my arm and down my spine.

"Come on, we'll ditch after lunch." I said with a grin. A smirk instantly hit his face as we began walking to class.

"I'm really rubbing off on you aren't I?' He said triumphantly.

"It's the last day of school, forever. I don't plan on hitting collage for the next year so may as well kiss this place goodbye." I said. He nodded in understanding.

"I'm waiting a while too. My dad wants me to join the military but I've never wanted that." He said shaking his head. After thinking for a minute I remembered after the factory shut down that was his next choice. He was young enough and one hell of a scary guy but he was just a big teddy bear like his son.

"So what do you want to do?" I asked. His eyes found the ground watching our feet in sync.

"I don't know. I'm not good at one particular thing, just capable of doing many. Does that make since?" He asked. I nodded quickly and bumped my shoulder to his.

"That's nothing to feel bad about, if you do. I don't really know what I want to do. I could open a restaurant. I could start a day care. At this point I wouldn't really mind traveling the world or something." I said, a very small trace of excitement rushing through me at the thought. His grip on my hand tightened.

"Absolutely, lets travel the world together." He said grinning widely down at me. I grinned but rolled my eyes.

"Oh yeah, what happens when you get tired of me?" I said savoring our swaying hands. Nothing lasts forever.

"I think it's going to take a lifetime for that to happen." He said as we entered my math class. I blushed and looked away, nodding at the teacher. She acknowledged both Danny and I as we came in late to the half empty class, a small smile on her lips at the sight of us. She didn't seem to mind having Danny in her class at all. She was a middle aged women with a ring on her finger and a picture of two kids on her desk. Just a little awkward. Danny and I found a table in the back as usual and I pulled out a spiral notebook and pencil. I had been working on a picture of two hands laced from two people back to back. I didn't even know what I wanted it to be when I started it in class yesterday. It just happened. Danny's arm slid around my shoulders and I leaned into him as the teacher bored on about nothing. My left leg crossed over my right, my notebook rested on top of it as my pencil raced across the page. Normally time flew by when I was drawing but it just seemed to slow today. The quiet chatter around me seemed louder than the teacher and I couldn't focus. I closed the book and set it and the pencil on the desk resting my head on Danny's shoulder.