Messages

Chapter 29

Wedding rehearsals.

Something that I was completely unaware of and was suddenly being told to get ready for.

"You got an hour kid, look nice." Dad said from across the table as he picked up our plates from an early dinner.

"Do we really have to go? Won't we just there for the wedding?" I asked slouching. The wedding was three days away.

"Yes. Apparently you are wanted there so we will be there. One hour." He replied in a Ted Allen impression. I rolled my eyes but got up anyway and made my way towards my room.

Look nice? Did I wear the dress I got?

I paused and turned around.

"Hey dad?" I called out.
"What?"

"Do I wear the dress Deb got me?" I asked.

"No, you can save that for the wedding." I nodded even though he couldn't see me and carried on up the stairs.

Once in my room I went straight for my closet. I shuffled through the heap of hanging clothes to the far, far right. I pulled out the four dresses that I've had probably since I was fourteen.

The first I tried to slide on didn't fit so I put in in my chair. I'll give it to Addi. The next one I grabbed was black, spaghetti strap, knee length in the front, longer in the back, simple dress. Damn that was a mind full.

I slid it on hoping for the best and grinned when it slid on with ease. I turned to the mirror and sighed when my bra was very much visible in the arm pits from the dress handing too low. I turned sliding it off and grabbed the next. It was an A-line dark grey, almost denim looking, but not, with black lace around the dips of the waist. I slid it with a small tug over my bust and grinned as I looked down. This was it. The sleeves didn't even pass my shoulders and I felt comfortable as the fabric brushed my knees and turned for the mirror. The dip in the chest wasn't too revealing and I didn't look like I was going to a funeral. Good.

This was good.

I pulled my hair up into a pony tail and left a small bump a the front pulling down a few hairs to frame my face. I nodded to myself then quickly sat at my desk. I grabbed the mirror from the floor and opened the drawer of makeup. I concealed under my eyes and set it with powder, then filled in my eyebrows. I added a small wing to my lid and slid on some mascara. With the quick swipe of some chapstick and a nod I was good. This was good. I hope.

I went to my closet and shuffled through the bottom trying to find some decent shoes. I finally found a pair of black wedges that I got a couple years ago. They weren't 'good enough' for prom. Maybe I won't give her that dress...

I slid them on happily and stood a good two inches taller. They were all black, faux leather with a peep toe. I grinned at my appearance and did a little twirl.

This was good.

~~~

So people really rented big rooms in hotels for parties, huh? I don't know why I ever thought that people didn't do that. I guess that neuro residency pays off a little. Or his side of the family is loaded. What if Danny's loaded but no one knew. I gasped and paused in my place although my father nor brother seemed to notice and kept going. Then I just laughed at myself.

I'm ridiculous sometimes.

I caught up to them quickly as they approached Mr. and Mrs. Greyson.

"Oh, it's so lovely to see you again. How were the leftovers for the fourth?" Deb asked first stepping forward and giving my dad a small hug. He and John did the small hand to hug thing men do and clapped each other on the back.