Buttercup

Chapter 23

Danny's P.O.V.

Mel was relaxed in the passenger side and I was cruising down the half empty highway. She was leaned back with my hand in her lap as she twiddled with our fingers and looked ahead in silence. I couldn't help but glance between her and the road every couple of minutes. The more I thought about it the more I think I should have pummeled Alex's face in. Lose a shoe up his ass or something. I pulled off of the highway and on to a long, sandy path that I grew up on. I knew this would be a good place. She raised my hand to her lips and kissed the back of my hand leaving a nice warm spot.

"Thank you." She said quietly as I parked. I nodded at her as I shut off the car and came around to her side. She got out of the car quickly without shoes on and we walked up the dock to the beach. There was a warm breeze but Mel didn't seem to mind as she snuggled into my side. I happily wrapped my arm around her, tucking her in. We looked over the dark beach lit up by the moon and I could have almost gagged at how cliché this all was but I didn't mind. Melanie sighed then let out a chuckle.

"Come on mister romantic. Do you dare get your feet wet?" She asked racing down the dock. I grinned and chased after her laughing, something bubbling up and clouding my chest.

This was nice.

I caught up to her as she got closer to the water. My arms snaked around her waist and lifted her off the sand, spinning her into a fit of girly giggles. The smalls waves rippled over my shoes and soaked into my socks but I didn't notice.

What I did notice was the beautiful girl in my arms, completely okay wasting time on the beach with me.

I walked farther up the beach from the water and sat down on the cool sand. Mel sat between my legs and leaned back on to my chest as she played with my fingers. Her fingers trailed to my wrist leaving a trail of tingles and picked at the small braid of grey and black yarn. I smiled at her confused face then she turned all the way around to face me.
"Is that?" She asked gesturing to the bracelet. I just nodded ignoring the feeling the look on her face gave me.

"Yeah. It never fell off and I never wanted to cut it off." I said with a small smile. She made it right after her mom was diagnosed. She got in a habit of making them when sitting with her mom or in waiting rooms.

Little did she know it slid off with ease.

She got up in one swift motion and placed both her hands on either side of my face and gently placed her lips to mine.

"Why?" She asked quietly.

"I just liked it and no matter what you think, you were very important to me, miss." I said with a smile.

And I think I might have loved you before I really knew what love was.

Melanie's P.O.V.

Danny and I didn't stay at the beach long but it was relaxing. We both avoided the whole Alex subject and I was thankful for that. I could tell Danny was still angry but he was cooling down. I don't know what would have happened if I punched Alex because he was still bigger than me and I was overly thankful for Danny.
"Look, thank you Danny. I have no idea what he was doing and I'm sorry because he was, or still is I don't know, your friend and I literally am the person who ruined that and-" He leaned over and put his lips to mine at the empty stop light. His hands held my face in place and let the kiss last long after the light changed.

"Stop talking your fine. He's an ass, always has been and like I said, it was a long time coming. I don't think he's going to be a problem anymore." He said turning back to the wheel completely relaxed. I just smiled as he sped off and sat back as well.