Damn You Mother Nature

Chapter 26

Danny and all his little gremlin players won the football game and he took total advantage of the bragging rights.

It went on for days between the two and now if was July forth. Dad, Ethen and I normally just grilled out and had a bond fire with some sparklers. Some years we went down to the beach where the held a big party and bigger fireworks. But this year we are going to Danny's. His dad was back in and they weren't fond of fireworks. They were having a small party with some other people as well as we were all more than happy to go.

I was currently getting dressed. I grabbed a blue to red ombre tank top and some white shorts. I slid them up over my slightly tanner legs and threw the bagger shirt over my head and nodded in approval. Tonight would be the first time I've seen Mr. Greyson in a good six years and it was almost like meeting Danny's dad for the first time, again. I sat at my desk after throwing my hair up in a bun and swiped on a bit of mascara and eyebrow gel. I slid on some chapstick and my converse then I was out the door.

"Finally, I feel like all women do is get ready." My dad said in a light tone as I grabbed my bag off the counter. I just scuffed and joined in his laughter.
"Yeah, and I swear all you men do is complain." I said smiling and chuckling like I was oblivious. He just gave me the 'I'm done with your shit' dad look and a dull ha. I just grinned as we all piled into the car to go across the block.

Dad parked on the street and I hopped out and opened the door for Ethen to jump out. He held my hand as all three of us walked up to the door. Dad didn't even have to knock before Danny pulled the door wide open and welcomed us in.

Ethen saw a couple of his school friends and wandered off, Dad met up with some of the other parents and Danny was more than happy to pull me in to his arms and place a gentle kiss on my lips.

"You hungry?" He asked pulling his head away. I just smiled.

"Have you seen me? When am I not hungry?" I asked laughing. I wasn't ashamed of my body nor appetite. He simply rolled his eyes and kissed the top of my head.

"Shut it, you beautiful specimen." He said leaving one arm wrapped around me shoulders leading us to the back deck. I nuzzled into him with comfort. Standing with their backs to us was my father and Mr. John Greyson himself shirtless on the hot day, with a large burn scar from his left shoulder all the way down to his hip. Danny cleared his throat to gain their attention and my eyes went to his face immediately. I wasn't going to let that faze me. He smiled and I smiled back. He stepped forward and gave me a quick embrace.

"Well, little miss Melanie Lynch. You sure have gotten taller." He said grinning. His buzzed head was wrinkled and his red-neck tanned skin was wrinkled with smile lines as well. I grinned back up at him.

"Yeah, I ate something radioactive when I was fifteen or something along those lines. I just shot up after that." I said with a grin. He laughed and nodded his head.

"Good to see the world hasn't changed ya kid. I'm glad you're keeping my son happy. Keep that up." He said with a smile and wink. I just smiled up and grinned at him.

"Yes sir." I said with a pathetic salute. He just grinned and turned back to the grill and my father. Danny smiled down at me and we walked about the house chatting amongst everyone. We all gathered around the grill some odd minutes later and ate, laughed and chilled. Danny and I drank beers with the adults, with permission, while the kids drank root beer from glass bottles.

"Alright everyone, it's time for a bond fire." John cheered out. Everyone, in pool and all, cheered with happiness and I glanced around. Danny and I had gotten separated and I was with Deb, his mom.