19 ∞ the signal

[4/Jun/2021 UPDATED - A/N: I've moved the beginning of this scene to a new Chapter 1. So if you haven't met Colonel Walters before, go read Chapter 1 ∞ The Submerged first before continuing with this chapter.]

Day Five ∞ Tuesday morning

"IT'S ON ITS WAY UP, SIR!"

Almost everyone stood on deck, watching in anticipation as a surreal blue glow grew larger in the water.

"The floodlights are too bright," Colonel Walters said, eager to get the best possible view.

"Dim the floodlights." Captain Marchal gave the order to the man beside him.

"Dim the floodlights!"

Everyone not operating equipment stood at the railings of each vessel, watching in silent awe as a large bulbous shape began to solidify as it drew closer to the surface. Walters found his jaw slowly dropping the closer it came. Now he could see that the 'cocoon' was not just giving off a blue glow. There was a multitude of tropical blues, violets, magentas, and greens that flickered and grew brighter on its approach. He was officially awestruck as it broke the surface, water cascading, revealing itself. A curved glass-like surface displaying layer upon layer of interlacing colors that rippled and swirled and flickered in a multitude of overlapping patterns, sometimes brighter here, sometimes subdued there. This was a thing of indescribable, unworldly beauty.

The rattling winches fell silent when three feet of the translucent elongated dome was exposed to the air. No one said a word, all were mesmerized by the strange sight. As they watched, the patterns interplay slowed down, blurred, and merged into a single flow of colors, throbbing in slow motion. It was as if it were preparing for something.

Then it ejected a pulse.

A single airwave expanding outward with the force of a tsunami.

The wall of vibration hit Walters through his hands on the railing, like a wave rushing into the front of his body and face, and out through his back. The underwater floodlights died, along with all the lighting on the vessels and crane barges. Then the dam lights disappeared, followed by residential lights along the shoreline—one after the other, further and further away. For several long seconds, he assessed the situation as his eyes adjusted to the pale light from the late quarter moon.

The cocoon lay motionless in its cradle, the surrounding water unaffected by what just happened. The fantastic color-play had completely disappeared, leaving a gray surface that glistened like a pearl, faintly shifting in its former hues.

Confused voices sounded across the water from the contractor vessels, but none were in alarm.

Four of the scuba divers climbed onboard at the rear of the vessel, assisting each other with the removal of the heavy air tanks and headgear. The other two appeared on the smaller coastguard vessel. Walters wondered how the frequency blast had affected them; they seemed okay so far. Then he checked himself. He felt no major ill-effects from the pulse, just slightly winded. He turned toward Marchal who was also surveying the area but was interrupted.

"Captain Marchal!" a voice called from the wheelhouse. "All the instruments and the comms system gone crazy in here!"

Walters and Marchal rushed back to the control room, but before they could step inside, the lights flickered back on. Walters blinked a few times and glanced around at the instrument panel. Everything seemed back to normal. Barrett returned to his spot inside the door, mumbling into a handheld radio.