89 ∞ sensitive readings

Day Nineteen ∞ Tuesday morning

DR. KRUGER RE-READ the psychological assessment, carefully considering each point. "Does this mean he's totally normal?" He looked up at the chief psychologist. "No hidden abilities?"

Dr. Mahoney hesitated. "As far as I can tell. To be absolutely one hundred percent sure, longer and more specialized tests and observations would be necessary. There's nothing to indicate any neurotic or psychotic tendencies, or any other abnormality. In my opinion, more tests are a waste of time."

"But what about paranormal or extrasensory abilities?"

"Ehrm," the psychologist rubbed the back of his neck, "to be honest, I'm very skeptical about any claims of telepathy or any other mumbo-jumbo. If you want to test for that, you should ask Doctor Bogdanov—he's a strong believer in the paranormal. But—"

"Excellent. I'd like you on the team as an observer. We need both competent and skeptical psychologists." Kruger looked at his watch. "It's almost seven. Could you arrange breakfast for both subjects? Just make sure they are kept separate, so they can't see each other or communicate until we've completed the rest of the tests."

"I'll get my assistant on it."

"Thank you." Kruger stepped away, then returned to Mahoney. "Oh... but you were about to say something before?"

"Yes," Mahoney hesitated, "there was one thing... not part of the tests. The subject claimed to know when the alien girl woke up. Which was—"

"He did, did he? Was she? Awake, I mean."

"Well... yes. But that was just a happy coincidence."

"Oh, Doctor Mahoney," Kruger smiled and patted him on the shoulder, "I'm positive there's so much more to it than that."

He had to check several rooms on the next level before he found Dr. Bogdanov in his dirty lab coat and rectangular glasses, fiddling with a large Eucalyptus tree in the botanical laboratory.

"Excuse me, Doctor Bogdanov. Do you have a moment to talk?"

"Hmm, talking?" The robust man was engrossed with adjusting the wires from a bundle attached to the branches and leaves. "Wha's da mattar? I kinda busy here."

Kruger was taken aback by the unexpected thick accent but he promptly recovered. "I need your help testing two subjects for evidence of telepathy and other paranormal—"

Dr. Bogdanov targeted him with rapt attention. "You mean you found not one but two telepaths? Great, where are they? Come on, let's go!"

"Hold on. I need to know if you can determine with certainty whether there's a telepathic connection—if the phenomenon is genuine—and then find a way to explain how it works."

"Of course I can. I was just testing this device to measure how trees react to emotional—"

"I mean human subjects, not trees."

"I know!" Bogdanov's big hands swept Kruger's objection aside with energetic gesticulations. "But you need very sensitive and precise instruments. You see, the impulses transmitted by trees are extremely weak. My team and I spent a lot of time on the design until we finally could measure ultra-weak impulses. Now we can measure micro-volts, micro-ohms, even micro-amperes. And that's not the limit."

"That's fascinating. And that's important for telepathy?"

"Of course! We need to measure the brain potentials while performing telepathy. We also need to measure skin conductivity, heart electric potential and as many organs as possible."