58 ∞ no choice

Day Fifteen ∞ Friday

"BY THE WAY, I love your dress," Debbie said, patting Mickmi's arm before she pushed her brothers aside to reach her mother. "Come, Mama, I need you. I don't want those people messing with my hair."

Mickmi glanced down at herself, then met Danny's gaze with a curious smile. They had gone home to change before coming to the Old Creek Town Park for the Summer Spectacular. She was wearing a beige, sleeveless summer dress full of flowers, gently pleated at the waist, along with the matching scarf.

Danny grinned and on an impulse, put an arm around her to squeeze her shoulder. "Yeah, I totally agree," he said and waved his other hand as the Myers' brothers shouted their best wishes after Debbie. She disappeared with her mother into the tent reserved for pageant contestants.

Danny slapped Nathan, who was nearest, on the arm.

"Look. We'll see you guys later. Mickmi here is raring to check out everything," he said and turned to Mickmi. "Where d'you want to go first?"

The atmosphere was festive with quiet excitement and Southern rock music floating in the air, occasionally interrupted by the singsong lilt of the MC. More people were trickling in by the minute. Danny was determined not to let the morning experience spoil the rest of the day. It was an opportunity to leave the stress and worries behind for a while. He thought that being surrounded by numbers would provide some measure of safety.

As the two with hands interlaced headed toward a row of stalls, Mickmi said, "Why would they want Debbie to break a leg?"

Danny laughed and leaned close to her. "That's just an expression. What better way to wish good luck?"

"I suppose the same goes for 'knock 'em dead'?"

"You've got it. In no way violent."

There were games, raffles, food stalls, and vendors, the usual mix. Danny had seen it all before. But this year was different. Having Mickmi beside him with her eyes sparkling at every detail made him see and feel it all afresh. Familiar faces held no interest to him this time, he simply hailed them and moved on. A few he knew from school and college days came up to them, wanting to meet his "new girlfriend", and he introduced them—keeping it short to avoid too many questions. Mickmi took it all in stride, smiling but not saying much.

They came to the dunking stall, and Mickmi tilted her head in curiosity as a child tried to hit the target switch in the middle of a board. Danny grinned.

"Wanna try? Join the line, I'll pay."

When her turn came, she received the ball with both hands and looked at it, turning it around. Danny noticed how a serene stillness came over her as she focused on the ball and then lifted her eyes to the target. In the next moment, she threw it and surprised him by dropping the volunteer into the tub at first try. She gave the other two balls to the girl behind her and rejoined him.

"What?" she said when she saw his expression. A smile was playing on her lips.

Danny snapped his mouth shut and scanned the other stalls until he spotted what he was looking for. He wanted to see how she'd do with darts. He paid for two rounds each and found her as good as him at hitting bull's eye. In fact, she beat him by ten points.

"I shouldn't be surprised. Some of that training must've rubbed off on you." He put his arm around her and they laughed as they headed for the ice cream vendor.

He'd just handed her a vanilla cone when her attention was drawn to the shore. "What is that sound?" she said.

"Aah, the speed boats. They must be getting ready for trials. Come on!"