90 ∞ malleable realities

[A/N: There's a glossary at the end of this chapter.]

Day Nineteen ∞ Tuesday

DR. KRUGER SAT DOWN, his mind swirling with possibilities. Pressing a knob, he spoke into the microphone. "Dima?"

On the screen, Dr. Bogdanov lifted his eyes to the camera. "Yes, Hans, what is it?"

"I want to go all the way for the big bucks. Normally I'd rigorously follow protocol but, in this case, our subjects can be taken away at any moment. So I think we should continue with more informative tests."

Bogdanov's perplexed expression prompted Kruger to continue. "Look, I think we can safely assume the boy is a passive telepath. What we need now is reliable, recorded data about their brainwave patterns and how their metabolic rates register. To guide future research. How about we use more complex material?"

"Ah! Molodiets, Hans! Yes, I totally agree. Excellent idea. I was afraid it was going to take forever to obtain results with your caution. Let's do it."

"Let's try an extract from a random book."

While Bogdanov retrieved a publication from a bookshelf in the room, Kruger communicated the change in direction with Dr. Yusuf. He expected Yusuf to object but the chief of the botanical section was as bored with the slow pace as everybody else.

Yusuf went to the shelf in the other room and stood a moment scanning its contents before picking a thick book. Then he gave Danny a notepad and pencil and explained what was expected of him.

Bogdanov had already returned to the table and was copying text from the open book. He said something and slid the notepad across to Miss Wamba.

Kruger turned to the other monitor and saw Danny writing on his own page.

"Doctor Yusuf," Kruger said into the mic, "can you please read for me what Danny wrote?" Then he activated the other mic.

Yusuf took the notepad from Danny and enunciated each word, " 'I do not know what weapons are going to be used in World War Three. What I do know is that if there is a World War Three, then in World War Four, we are going to fight using sticks and stones. Albert Einstein.' "

Kruger looked at Bogdanov's astonished face and said, "Did you hear that, Dima?"

"Oh yes! And it's exactly right! Verbatim!"

Kruger noticed Wamba smiling a little—apparently amused at Bogdanov's enthusiasm—as he turned off the mic and returned to Yusuf's. "Doctor Yusuf, please give Danny something to read."

Yusuf turned several pages in the book and found something he liked to transcribe. He tore out the page from the notepad and placed it in front of Danny. Kruger transferred his attention to the other monitor where he saw Wamba pause her conversation with Bogdanov and pick up the pencil. She wrote something, then returned the notepad to Bogdanov who appeared confused.

"What does it say, Dima?" Kruger asked as he activated the mic to the other room.

" 'I only know of two things that are infinite. One is the Universe, the other, human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the Universe. Albert Einstein'... " Bogdanov looked inquisitively into the camera.

"That's correct!" Yusuf said. "Word for word!"

"This time," Kruger said to both rooms, "I intentionally didn't warn Miss Wamba of Danny's intent to transmit a message to her. Nevertheless, she was able to reproduce every word with absolute fidelity."