83 ∞ the augmented

Day Eighteen ∞ Monday afternoon

MINUTES AFTER THE THIRD VEHICLE LEFT with the kid, several shouts prompted Weaver to leave his perch on the ramp. Half of the encampment was on the move, clearing space, while the sentries on the other side looked up. Weaver followed their gaze.

There, between the two gunships, hovered the other alien ship, identical to the one he'd arrived in, except for its current color.

First Cinderella, now this. Twin U-F-Os. Well... not unidentified. He would've had some bedtime stories to tell Melanie and he wouldn't even have to make them up. He grunted at the thought as Paulux's sky-blue mottled with its default gray. He skirted Deymos to watch it descend to the edge of the shield dome. As soon as it settled on its landing fins, another, smaller bubble formed to merge with the one he was in, extending the dome. He approached the new ship, ignoring the vibrating heat. Sweat broke out on his face and chest as he stood before it, and then a puff of cool air struck him. Apocalypse arrived outside the shield as Weaver circled the ship.

"Paulux," Weaver muttered and slapped his hand on its hull.

It was cold and did not respond the same way Deymos had. The rippling pattern left his hand and did not return. He glanced at Apoc who signaled to his comms man and strode off.

The trip took thirty-five minutes in noisy silence before the two army jeeps jarred to a halt at a security checkpoint. They were let through without delay for another stretch of driving. 

Mickmi sat on the hard bench with feet spread for balance. Keeping her eyes closed behind the black hood, she cast her awareness wide, past the men accompanying her in the vehicle to the vast, arid surroundings. The instant her skin prickled with dis-ease, a familiar chill rushed in place to protect her from exposure. Her sinnesband confirmed it: they had entered an area of increased radiation levels.

—They've taken me too, Mi. I'm coming.

She snapped her eyes open, her lashes brushing against the coarse material as she discerned pinpoints of daylight leaking in between the weave.

Daniel would be traveling the same route, passing this same area, getting exposed. She had boosted his immune system and increased the density of his aura, but without her next to him, it would not provide him complete protection against the effects. At least he should be less susceptible. 

Listen to the breath of wind... Be still and hear. She could not think of any thing else to say. Here is no danger... here is no fear. 

He joined in with her, completing the verse, —No need to fear, no need for fear. 

Despite the distance between them, his thought-voice was clear and warm as if he were nearby. It was unlike how she trained with others to communicate across distances. They always projected or broadcasted their thoughts with telepathic intent. But Daniel did not know how to do that. She simply heard him when his thoughts verbalized in his mind. And now that the last block of amnesia had cleared from her, she could keep in touch with him, even when they were apart.

You are in my heart. She did not project this time, unwilling to make him more worried than he already was. But those words gave her comfort, added depth to her focus and preparation to face what lay ahead.

The vehicle slowed, turned, and turned again. As soon as it stopped, the doors were thrown open.

"Out."