84 ∞ testing, testing

Day Eighteen ∞ Monday evening

IT TOOK EFFORT FOR DANNY to stop pacing the room he was left in. At least he could hear Mickmi and she could still hear him, despite the unknown distance separating them. It was the only reason he could settle down enough to sit on the bench next to his water canteen with just his heels touching the cold floor.

That, and the possibility that Mickmi could also feel his anxiety from afar. He wasn't sure of her sensing range, but she was doing her tests now, and he didn't want to disturb her.

He stared at his socks, remembering the beeping that had his Swiss Army knife confiscated. They even took his hiking boots. Did they really think he'd try something with his shoelaces?

He sighed, his thoughts inadvertently jumping home with the usual slew of questions. Where did they take his sister and mother? Would they ever be able to forgive him? His guts clenched at the idea that they might be hurt. Were they even together?

Did Mickmi know?

Shut up, brain. Now wasn't the time. He grabbed the canteen and took two gulps against his stomach's grumbling advice, then leaned his head back on the wall. He felt like a headache wanted to come on, but somehow it remained lingering just outside his skull. If that were possible.

Intent on thinking about absolutely nothing, he closed his eyes. It was not long before a sharp prick in his left arm interrupted him, and he slapped it hard.

Damn mosquito.

The bite continued. Irritated, he sat up to look at the crook of his arm. He rubbed the invisible spot with his fingers and realized he hadn't heard any mosquitos whining around. It was unlikely any even existed in this place.

His jaw dropped as it sank in.

This was deeper than a bite.

This was Mickmi.

They were taking her blood, and he could feel the needle in her arm. It meant they were connected—really connected. Not only in mind... but also in body. It was difficult to believe but at least now he'd know if anything was wrong with her.

The profound realization caused a flood of relief to loosen the tension in him, the stress he'd been under for the past twenty-four hours, and he felt immensely tired. No matter how he tried, he couldn't keep his eyes open anymore.

It was like a pristine prison cell with no privacy. The only thing missing were the metal bars.

Gina pushed the tray away, thankful for having been served a civilized meal after so many hours sitting here in isolation. But now the other problem couldn't wait any longer.

She glanced at the portable toilet in the far corner of the room for the umpteenth time, hating the idea that anybody could watch her from behind that glass.

With careful movements, she rose from the table, walked over to the one-way window and beat it twice.

"Would you mind?" she shouted. "Could I just get two minutes of privacy here?"

Stepping back, she looked at the camera, then at the speaker box, waiting for a crackle, for a bodiless voice to acknowledge her request. There was none.

Sighing, she realized she had no choice. She had to go. She could only hope that the man on the other side had some decency to avert his eyes.