107 ∞ last-minute preps

Day Twenty ∞ Wednesday

 "IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, you'll want to make a phone call before leaving. Eh, Mister McGahn?"

Danny snapped up his gaze to meet Kruger's across the table, swallowed and nodded.

"Then we'll take care of that after lunch." Kruger's eyes wrinkled above his bobbing mustache.

Relief released Danny's chest. "Thanks."

"Anybody else? Miss Wamba? Miss Aave?" Kruger looked around their half of the table. "Mister... ah... Atlas?"

Danny barely noticed the negative responses as he put a forkful of baked potato and chicken in his mouth. He couldn't tell Gina he'd literally be going to the moon. Would he ever be able to tell her about the mission? How could he tell her that there was a risk that he might not return? It wasn't like he was going to war where the uncertainty was a given... and not a secret.

Even life is uncertain, he reminded himself. He'd already lived through that when the motorcycle accident put him in hospital five years ago. At least he'd have two months to prepare his sister for his plan to follow Mickmi into a future world dimension... And Mom? He'd have to make up another cover story for her. She'll never understand. No... in Mickmi's book, not lying was preferable. Either way, it would be difficult. He drew a deep breath.

This mission will go well. Mickmi rested her hand on his arm again. We will make sure of it.

He squeezed her hand. —Yeah, we will. Then he focused on his plate, determined to feed the monster in his stomach before it got loudmouthed.

"Mister McGahn," Bogdanov said when Danny had only one forkful left to go, "tell me..."

Danny looked up, surprised at the dark-haired scientist addressing him directly.

"I can't help but thinking... that something's changed about you since yesterday. You seem more knowledgeable... in tune with aspects of Miroshka's—how should I say it?—world? Did she share an experience with you... like she did with me?"

"Aah..." Danny hesitated. A library wasn't part of his dreamscape experience. He wasn't sure what he would call it.

"If you don't mind me asking."

"No, it's okay. It... was something similar."

Bogdanov nodded. "It's an amazing experience. Very personal, l understand."

Danny's ears heated up under his hair as he felt curious eyes on him. Especially from Atlas who shifted in his chair beside him and leaned back.

"I can't help but envy you," Bogdanov continued. "You'll have many opportunities."

The door opened and an unfamiliar man dressed in short-sleeved military uniform entered and spotted Kruger.

"Doctor Kruger." He approached the table. "Major Kerr asked me to let you know, a helicopter will be ready to take the guests at 1330 hours. He will meet them at Hangar 3."

"Thank you," Kruger replied and checked his watch as the soldier nodded at the others and left. "Well, ladies, gentlemen, I'm afraid our time together is drawing to a close."

Chairs scraped at the other end of the table as the pilots got up.

"We'll get our bags from our quarters and meet you at H3." Eckstein came around the table with his package under the arm as the rest of them rose. "Miss Wamba, we'll wear the suits for takeoff."