22 ∞ cover story

Day Five ∞ Tuesday evening

DANNY PROPPED THE LADDER UP against the wall and turned to Mickmi. "You told Sis. Why?"

She handed him a new bulb. "I thought she should know. You said she already knows I am different."

"Yeah. But I didn't mean you should tell her." Then he smiled. "But it's okay I guess. One less person to lie to. Right?"

She tilted her head and watched him as he turned and climbed up the ladder to replace the bulb. "You trust her."

He looked down at her. "Yes, I do. But that's not the point." He came down and faced her. "I don't trust who's out there looking for you," he said quietly. "And we shouldn't be talking about this out here."

Her gaze became distant and she slowly turned around in a complete circle. "There is no one here," she said as she met his gaze again.

Danny shook his head slowly. "I don't know how you do that... But still, we shouldn't discuss this stuff out here. Sound travels."

"You are correct."

He lifted the ladder and carried it to the next floodlight, and Mickmi followed with the shopping bag and toolbox. This one needed the entire lighting fixture replaced. He came down to get a screwdriver, multipurpose pliers, insulation tape, and a new fixture from her and returned up the ladder. For a while she stood quietly by watching, then she said, "I need mobility."

He paused in the middle of pulling electrical wires through the hole in the base of the new fixture and looked down over his shoulder. "What?"

"I need transport."

"Oh. I can take you anywhere you want to go. As long as it's not during work hours. Where do you want to go?"

"Nay. I need my own mobility."

His heart sank at that. What? Already? He clenched his jaw and turned back to the work at hand while he thought furiously. She couldn't leave already. She didn't know enough. What should I do?

"Not to leave," he heard her say from below—and it was as if all the air escaped from him. "Just to be mobile."

He glanced down his shoulder at her again, then silently continued with the installation, allowing the panic to subside. He shouldn't be reacting this way, he reminded himself. It was natural that she'd want to be independent. And if she wanted to leave, she had every right to. He took a deep breath and screwed in the new bulb. Then he made his way down the ladder and faced her.

"I am sorry." She studied him with her head tilted.

"No, don't apologize." He shook his head and sighed. "But don't scare me like that," he added and caught his breath as she placed her hand on his chest on the last word. This time the heat was focused on his chest, and he stood still, absorbing it for a while before he took her hand in his. "So. You need to be independent."

"Aye."

"You want a car? Getting a driver's license's going to be a problem. You don't have an identity here."

"Nay. Something smaller."

"Oh." He studied her. "Like a motorbike. You can borrow mine anytime. After it's fixed that is. But can you ride?"

She didn't answer immediately. He could see her brain was at work as her gaze slid to the side. "A motorbike, aye. But not to borrow."

"Ah. Okay. I should be able to find a used one for you. And you already have some money so..."