{13}

The drive to the hotel in Uptown was short, but so silent it seemed so much longer. We had to take three trucks there, the third filled with 'equipment', and it seems the hotel already knew we were going to be staying-they didn't even bother checking the third truck and gave us a private, reserved parking lot space for the trucks. I got out of the second truck, grabbing all of my things before walking inside of the lobby with Laylani. It was mostly empty, and the hotel clerks simply smiled at us and handed us our key card. She took it, waiting by the elevator for everyone else to get checked in before pressing the up button, stepping inside and pushing the top floor. "The perps are on the pent house level. You have to take the stairs." She said to me and I nodded, making note of it.

We walked down the hallway to our suite, unlocking the door and stepping inside. I took a look around, admiring the view. I knew one fancy thing from another, but I never saw a place this nice. I set my bags down by the floor, walking around some. It had a small living space, a kitchen, and it cut away into the bedroom with two Queen sized beds, a flat screen TV, and a full bathroom. "Of course the boys' rooms are much bigger and better, but...we are the top two." She shrugged, setting her stuff down on the couch. I went inside of the bedroom, sitting on the bed softly and feeling how soft it was. "It's way better than anything I've ever been in..." I mumbled, kicking off my shoes. "What? Weren't you rich or something?" She asked, walking in and unpacking tonight's outfit, laying it out on her bed. "Well, yeah..." I started, taking off my jacket. "But I've never been in a room like this. Not to mention it's way better than my bed back at the place." I added, leaving the room only to get the outfit for tonight. Lay laughed, shaking her head. "Yeah, well, get used to it. We've got 5 days to get this job done and tonight we've gotta lead on."

I groaned, getting up and grabbing the clothes. "I'll change in the bathroom." I told her, walking across the room as she undressed. "I got you, take your time." I stepped inside, cutting on the light and nearly dropping what was in my hands. There were two luxurious sinks, a full jet spa bath, a huge shower...I never felt so amazed about a bathroom before in my life. I slid out of my comfort clothes, putting on the usual slutty attire before packing on make up, adjusting myself to look as desirable as possible. I walked out the bathroom, seeing Laylani already dressed and ready. A knock came on the door as I sat on the bed, strapping on my heels. Lay answered the door and I looked up to see Ferg, Rakim, and Twelvy. She let them in as I strapped on the second heel, going through the small bag for jewelry. "You got everything you need? Where your pager at?" Ferg asked Lay as he slid an arm around her, kissing her head. "Yeah, we got it." She answered, nodding her head as Rakim sat on the couch with Twelvy. "You sure about...her though?" She asked lowly, and I knew she was referring to me. "She's only seen the kills. She's never made them." I heard Rakim laugh. "And? You was bout her age when you started this. Or did you forget that quick?" He teased and she scowled. "But I had experience. I'd already been here for 2 years then. She's only been here a little over a month and you've already got her doing extra shit." She frowned, crossing her arms. I stayed hidden in the doorway, listening to their conversation. "Chill, Lani. I'm sure she can handle herself now though." Twelvy cut in and she sucked her teeth. "Nah, you chill. She been traumatized enough for one month, even initiated. Don't make her do this shit, Ra."

"Where the fuck she gon' go? She not big enough to stay up here by herself, not with these niggas watching." He lit a blunt and I frowned, knowing this was true. I wasn't too sure on what exactly I was gonna end up having to do on this job, but I know I wasn't safe enough to stay up here by myself. "One of them can easily snatch her ass, rape her, kill her, all that type of shit." Twelvy spoke and Laylani sighed. "She knew what she was gettin' into when she came here." "Because he took her in?!" I heard him get up and I got on the floor, huddling in the corner. "Aight, shut the fuck up. If it bothers you so fuckin' much, Lani, you can share the job with her." She sighed again. "Where the fuck is she anyway? Y'all asses need to go." I stood up quickly, pretending to fix my shoes. "She just got out the bathroom, she should be back there in the room..." I heard footsteps as I finished the last latch. I looked up, seeing him in the doorway. He came over, bending down and attaching a pager to my hip before standing me up, walking me out into the main room. I kept my head low, as if I didn't hear what was said. Laylani looked at me and I could tell she knew I heard everything. "We'll call you if anything goes wrong, okay?" She said, pecking Ferg lightly and giving Rakim a hug. She made a face at Twelvy before hugging him too. Twelvy and Ferg nodded their heads at me as Rakim went back on the couch, finishing his blunt from earlier. I walked past the couch with Laylani, exchanging a glance with him for a few seconds before averting my gaze to my feet.

We walked out and headed down the hallway to the stairwell. "What did he want me to do?" I asked her quietly as we walked up. "Kill em. Individually." She answered, going quiet for a while. "He told me about you blowing up back at the crib." She shook her head, laughing. "He cares about you, forreal. He's sending me here to protect you." I looked at her for a moment as we reached the penthouse floor, walking up to the door and knocking. "Are you ready for this?" She asked as we waited on an answer and I finished taking in the information. I wasn't. I wasn't up for killing anybody, much less more than one or being so little, I needed assistance in doing so.

"Sure."