{29}

I stood outside, pounding on the front door loudly with the bag still clenched in my hand. I didn't care how loud the knocking actually was, but it could be because I was pretending it was his face instead of the front door that I was pummelling my fist into.

"Yo--wh-" He responded as soon as he swung the door open, but I pushed past him, walking into the front room of the condo and setting my bag down on the couch, sitting up on the bar stool with my legs crossed. He turned and shut the door, following me in the room with his eyebrows raised. I noticed he was only half dressed, hair still in a du-rag, and I placed my elbow against the counter in annoyance. "What the fuck is wrong with you, knocking like you 5-0 or some shit." He mumbled, leaning over the counter top to tap out his blunt. I began to dislike him again as I formed my words in my head, looking over at him. "You tell them and not me?" I stated simply, keeping my face straight as I ignored the smell of burning weed and the way it made my eyes water.

"Tell you what?" He questioned, not looking at me as he reached across the counter towards an envelope. I rolled my eyes, making sure I scoffed when I did so. "Can you please not do this shit tonight." I spoke, keeping my face blank. "You've been over damn near every day for a fucking month and you don't bother mentioning that hm, you wanted me to go to work? After I just had your baby, right?" I rose an eyebrow, waiting impatiently for an answer. When his response wasn't quick enough to my liking, I ran my hand across my forehead, leaning my elbow against the countertop. "Oh jesus, and you're deaf. This is wonderful." I mumbled under my breath and I heard him tear himself up with laughter.

"You're hilarious tonight." He finally stated after his laughter had subsided, taking a huge gulp of whatever he was drinking. "Glad to see you obtained some qualities." In a second, I went from sitting on the bar stool to standing in front of his frame. He was built taller than me, and he always was--but this felt less intimidating than the other moments where he'd be towering over me. "I really wish you would cut the bullshit and answer my goddamn question." I commanded between clenched teeth, and he quickly grabbed my forearm, pushing me up against the counter. "You better watch who the fuck you talking to." He spat, tightening his grip. "I ain't have to tell you shit. I could've came and got your ass myself." I simply rolled my eyes in defiance, feeling disgusted. "You didn't tell me anything, jackass. That's the whole fucking point." I shot back, trying to break out of his iron grip. But as always, he was taller than me. "You forget that I'm more than just a little hoe now, I have more shit to worry about. Specifically me, because you don't--" I began, but he pulled me up closer to his face.

That's when I began to see how irritated he was becoming, and how just the look in his eyes took me into baby Hazel mode. I shut my mouth quickly, leaving the sentence on edge. "We'll talk about this shit later." He informed me slowly, despite his grip still being on my arm. "And maybe I'll be in a better fucking mood." He finally released me, making sure to shove me back towards the counter as he grabbed the items he came in with and walked back to his room, leaving me in silence. I blinked for a moment, allowing the storm in my chest to subside before grabbing my bag and sneaking my way into the bathrooms, quickly changing my outfit--much to my disappointment--and sliding on a simple jacket. I stayed put by the front door, waiting until a group of footsteps approached followed by sounds of excitement.

"Oh my god, it's you!" Rayna ran over, cupping my face in her hands before hugging me tightly. I remained still out of shock for a moment before wrapping my arms around her, looking up to see Cali, Essence, Yazmin, and the others rushing towards me for a hug. "Where's Brittany?" I blurted out, not seeing her face among the rest of the girls. They all exchanged quiet looks, and I started to feel worried all over again. Not to mention sick. "She's..." Cali began, then Yazmin interrupted her. "She left." She stated simply, looking down. I furrowed my brows in confusion. "What do you mean left? What happened to her?" I felt the anxiousness kick in, and they could tell. "No, no, not in a bad way." Essence continued, looking back at Yazmin for approval. "She just...decided that running wasn't for her." She smiled faintly. "She meant to tell you. She wanted us to let you know that she is fine, and she is safe. Nast didn't want her to leave, but..." Yaz trailed off, biting her lip some. "He let her go."