The Smolder

Chapter One: Cole

Dear Son,

I think you are finally old enough to learn the art of smoldering. You may ask why, but this will get you any lady that you want. (I got your mother this way, but she denies that she ever fell for it.)

Now to get the perfect smolder, you must practice. But beware, the first couple of times you do this it looks like you are really constipated. First, pretend you smell the best food in the world. Take a BIG whiff and close your eyes (like the way the people smell in those Febreze commercials.) Now open your eyes and squint as if you are an old person without their glasses; take one of your eyebrows and bring it upwards like a curious expression. Then in an overly exaggerated sexy, low voice, breathe out and say, "How's it going babe?" Trust me, this voice is key.

I wish I were teaching you this in person,

Your Father

-Four Years Later-

"How's it going babe?" I ask in my sultry voice. After many years of practice, I have finally perfected my father's smolder routine, and use it all the time on the idiot girls in my school.

The girl in front of me was standing there twisting her hair and giggling like a broken baby doll. She just happens to be a perfect candidate for my smolder. Step one, do the smolder. *check* Step two, ask her on a date. Step three, come up with an excuse to ditch her after the date.

"So do you want to come to a party with me tonight?" I ask, as the girl nearly collapses onto me.

"Uh. . . Sure, Cole," she says in a ditsy voice.

"Okay I'll pick you up at eight then," I say, quietly congratulating myself on the win.

Ditching her quickly, I walk over to my friends and sit down on the stone planters that were lining the front entrance to our school. "Why do you do this to yourself, man?" my best friend Geo says as he slaps me on the back.

I was debating on if I would ever tell him the real reason, but I just give him half the truth. "Come on G. It's what every guy goes on a date for, the good stuff," I say, punching him on the shoulder.

The two of us zoned out for a minute thinking about our best dates. "Ha! Good times man," Geo laughs, slamming me back into reality.

His facial expression then turns serious, "So, how's the Alpha business doing with you?"

Damn you G, I wanted to forget about that for at least a minute in my life. Long story short, my father was attacked by another pack alpha and died four years ago when I was thirteen. After that, I was left with the responsibility of a whole pack and only know how to care for them from the instructions/letters that my father gave me.

"I am still learning everything, but your dad has helped mainly," I tell him honestly. His dad was the pack beta and Geo would soon become my beta at the age of eighteen. I would become the pack's full alpha at age eighteen if I find my mate. So far, Richie (Geo's father) is the alpha until further notice. I run a hand through my hair; I have so much riding on me right now.

In my stupor, I don't notice Geo's mate come to sit in his lap, as well as her start making out with him.

"How's it going?" she asks me, breaking her kiss and my concentration.

"Fine, how are you Lindsay?" I ask back in a depressed tone.

She studied me for a minute before declaring, "You need to find your mate. You look miserable."

"Thanks so much Captain Obvious," I shoot back sarcastically.

She gives me a knowing look. "You'll know who your mate is soon sweetheart," she says in a positive voice. "You just have to find the girl who has markings that match yours. But before that, you have to come in contact with her. See," she says, pulling down the shoulder of her shirt, to expose half of her marking going down her back. "I got this when Geo bumped into me at the grocery store," she finishes with a smile.

Geo growls at her, and gingerly pulls her shirt back into place. "What have I told you about showing OUR markings to the entire world?" he says in a rough voice.

"Sorry sweetie,"she says, lightly kissing him on the nose. "I won't do it again."

Every pair of mates has a set of marks. Each set is unique in its own way, and complementary to the ones that the other has. The marks on the male show that he has found his mate, so other females will stay away, and the females show every male, she is taken. But, no male likes having his marks shown because they are just for him. I will never let my mate show her markings in public. Ever.

The final bell rang, signaling that it was time to get to class. Standing up, I turn to walk inside with the rest of my pack flanking me. We all broke apart once we got inside to go to our lockers.

Walking throughout the hallways, it was funny watching the girls run into other people because they weren't paying attention. It reminded me of bumper cars with two hot guys in the middle, us being those two hot guys. Geo winked at a few freshmen girls causing some to collapse in shock.

I couldn't stop laughing. "Man, you're killing them!" I say in a laugh.

"If Lindsay saw me doing this, she would kill me. So don't say anything," Geo says, looking at me pleadingly.

"Dude, don't sweat. I know you don't mean anything by it. Your mated and the beta, remember?" I say, turning to face my friend.

G smirks at me, turning back into his usual self. "Mated yes, but I will be your beta after you find yours," he reminds me.

I don't reply, my mood instantly lapsing into my depressive state from earlier.

"Sorry man," Geo apologizes, patting my back. "Just think on the bright side. When you find her, it'll be perfect."

We finally made it to our lockers as I say,"Yeah. I can't wait."

Spinning the dial in front of me, I take out my books and then slam it shut ready to go to class.

"Remind me again why we have to go to this prison?" Geo says, walking with me.

I smile, my mate problem forgotten for now. "Because we need an education to run a pack?" I say in mock question.

I hear Geo grumble. Here I come world. Ready to start another boring day at Mt. Washington High.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello readers! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Did anyone try to do the smolder from my directions (first part of chapter)? My sister and I did and we looked like we were constipated! If you did, comment your experience with me. Goodness, Cole is a player. Yes, but not for long. (Hehe, hints)

The story gets sooo much better if you read on. There will be pranks and cute romantic couples! Who doesn't love that and cheesy stories?

Don't forget to Vote if you want to read on and Comment too. ---->I will take suggestions and feed back. Don't forget about telling me about your smolder experience.

Have fun reading the next chapter!

:) Little Miss S