Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The thing inside the cell was barely recognizable. The only reason I knew it was a person was because it had moaned. The, what I guessed was a man, was covered completely in his own blood. I took a step forward and saw the horribly deep claw marks that marred his whole body; especially the long ones that stretched from his wrist all the way to his shoulder on both of his arms.

The puss dripping disfiguration of his body was on full display as both his arms and legs were chained to the far wall of the cell; stretching him out and keeping him flat against it. He looked up at me and I could see that one of his eyeballs looked like it was about to fall out; his eyelids looking like they’d been torn off. The rest of his wounds were also dripping as well; some of them looking severely infected. Some were so deep I could see white which I guessed was bone.

This was one of the downsides to being a shifter; our bodies and wolves are programmed to last for as long as possible, being able to survive way longer without food, water and medical treatment than the average human. The combination of our body’s high endurance and our wolves' will to live made it excruciating for us to be tortured as it could go on for more than a month before we would actually be wounded enough to finally die.

My heart ached as I eyed this man in front of me. A part of me knew that he probably did something bad to end up here but I would never have though that anyone deserved this kind of pain. Based on the infection of his injuries; he could’ve been here for more than two weeks in this state, that thought alone made me sick to my stomach.

His lips which were dry and cracked from lack of water; pulled back to reveal teeth that looked like it had been punched out. Bits and pieces of what I assumed used to be perfect teeth were poking out of his gums here and there. I came to the horrifying conclusion that what I had smelt all this time had been blood, puss and god knows what else. The only way I could describe it was that it was the stench of death and suffering; and if I didn’t have a choice I would have already bolted out of here just to get away from the disgusting smell. An image of Jen flashed into my mind and that was enough to steel my resolve.

“Help, me.” He pleaded; his voice raspy.

I held back my tears as I worked to figure out how I could do just that. “Who did this to you?” I whispered; taking a step closer to his cell.

“Alpha Logan.” I could see the pain that he felt by just gasping out those two words, though the sympathy I felt for him was trampled by my shock as the news crashed on me.

My mate had inflicted the horrible injuries that now mutilated that shifters’ body. My mate’s claws were what left those horrible gaping wounds in that man’s flesh. My mate was the one who’d beaten the prisoner so hard that his teeth had splintered and fallen out. Logan was responsible for all of it and I smacked myself for not seeing this coming.

I remembered how all the other packs had always spread rumours about him around. I guess not all of them were lies; my mate truly was ruthless with his torture techniques. A small part of my wolf began to try and convince me that he hadn’t done all this himself when the images started flowing in. I began to get nauseous as images of him actually mutilating the prisoners filled my mind. The bond is a bitch sometimes. I mentally muttered as horrific scene after horrific scene filled my head.

I almost couldn’t believe it; my love for Logan clouding my judgement; even though he had proven to me that he was more than capable of what his memories were showing me. Since I had found out he was my mate, he’s shown me his ability to inflict pain more than once; too bad it had always been on me. Though when I compared how injured these prisoners were to me; I had to count myself lucky that a few bruises and heartache was all Logan had ever caused me.