Introvert for Hire

I have an extreme phobia of walking into a business and asking them if they're hiring and getting an application. Sure, it's tough to do, but it is an ordeal for me!

And its because of a very unfortunate experience I had.

This happened to me when I started looking for my first job (sometime in middle school).

I had been going around my town, asking businesses if they were hiring. I was shy but I was able to do it. Then, on my way home I decide to try one more place. A pet supply store.

I walk in, the cashier (I soon find out is also the manager) is busy. So I wait in the back of the line. Two peers from my school walk up behind me to buy something. 

 When its my turn I ask the woman politely if they're hiring. She tore my little soul apart.

She asked me complex questions about work that I could never have known (in a very demeaning tone) and thoroughly embarrassed me in-front of my class mates. I left, very frightened to approach other businesses (or talk to strangers). Even to this day I still need to curb my irrational fear when looking for a new job. It was like having my worst social fears realized; being yelled at for no good reason.

It's like walking into a place and being stared at by a group of people who all know each other. You get this wave of fear rushing over you, like a prey being spotted by a pack of wolves.

Side Note: For those of you who are just starting to work, know that this was a very unusual experience, just about every place I've applied to work at or been interviewed by has been very kind.