Chapter 5: Ghostly Memories

Bernice

September 4th, 2016

It's been a couple of weeks since that day Dave made me take those at home pregnancy tests and they said positive

It's been a couple of weeks since that day Dave made me take those at home pregnancy tests and they said positive. We're currently at the doctor's office for my first appointment. I was filling out the paperwork. I paused at one of the questions. It was asking about details about any previous pregnancies. 'Have you had any abortions?' I tapped my pen sighing then checking yes. 'How many pregnancies have you had?' I looked over at Dave who was too busy on his phone then wrote two. I continued filling out the forms trying hard not to think about it.

That was my biggest regret in life. The guilt never left my mind. I felt like some irresponsible chick who used abortion as a form of birth control when that wasn't the case. I felt it was my only choice.

Dave didn't even know that when I was 18 and lost my virginity to him I got pregnant. I didn't know what to do. He was all the way in Maryland for school. I was still living with my mother and I didn't want to deal with her wrath, so I handled it. Dave could never know that either. I saw the way he reacted to Keisha having an "abortion". He'd never speak to me again if he knew I did that.

October of 2007

It's been 2 months since David left for school in Baltimore and I've never felt lonelier. Now I spent my days going to work at Wal-Mart and right back home and today was no different. I sat at the checkout counter in the electronics section bored out of my mind. I pulled my blackberry out of pocket checking it, nothing. I've called Dave several times since he left with no answer. I decided to call again. It didn't even ring saying: 'The number you are trying to reach is no longer in service.' I hung up throwing my phone onto the counter.

I leaned my head on my fist beginning to daydream. I was mostly thinking about that night. I couldn't tell if I regretted losing it to him or not. I scrunched my face up staring at nothing in particular, mainly thinking. I haven't had my period since then. Shit! I thought to myself.

My manager came up to me. "Break time, Bernice!" I nodded quickly getting up. I rushed to the break room going to my locker getting my purse. I grabbed it speed walking through the store to the aisle grabbing the first pregnancy test I saw. After I paid for it I rushed to the bathroom going into a stall. I needed to know now. I read the instructions taking it. I timed it on my watch. I looked down at my Casio watch seeing 3 minutes had passed. I read the test then the box.

Positive. I kicked the stall door in frustration burying my face in my hands. How could this happen? I took every precaution. I needed to get this fixed right now. My mom can't find out or she'll beat my ass then kick me out. She's already threatened to because I'm 18 now. I lied to my manager telling her I had a family emergency, so she would let me leave. I got into my 2007 Toyota 4runner driving to the nearest clinic before they close. This wasn't supposed to happen to me. And the one person I thought would always be there for me I can't get a hold of him. A few tears fell down my face looking at the Planned Parenthood Clinic. I wiped my face sighing then got out of my car.