Chapter 34: When Words Fail

*That throwback Dave East😍

Dave
Spanish Harlem, NYC

I laid in bed in my apartment in the pitch black except for the little bit of light shining through the curtains as the sun rose

I laid in bed in my apartment in the pitch black except for the little bit of light shining through the curtains as the sun rose. I finally just got up taking a shower and brushing my teeth. I walked out of the bathroom into my bedroom with just boxers on putting on a pair of sweatpants and plain black tank top. I put socks on then my Nike slides going out to the balcony for my usual morning smoke session. After smoking a backwood I went back inside to see Bernice sitting on my couch. I went to the kitchen unphased because I gave her a key for emergency purposes. "What are you doing here, B?" I asked before drinking straight from the carton of orange juice.

"I came to talk to you. I'm concerned about you," she said softly. I slightly rolled my eyes turning to put the juice back in the fridge.

"Oh, now you wanna talk to me? I've been tryna talk to your ass, but you didn't care."

"I know and I'm sorry. Just please come sit." I sighed sitting in the furthest seat away from her even though she patted the spot next to her.

"Talk," I said resting my arms on the arm rest looking at her.

"What's going on with you, Dave?"

"Nothing," I said casually shrugging.

"There's obviously something wrong with you. You've been acting violent and distant and you've been drinking more than usual. Now tell me..."

"I just don't feel like being bothered with anybody. It's like everytime I'm around somebody they're pointing out all the shit I'm doing wrong. I'm not tryna hear it. I already know. I don't need to be reminded like that shit isn't clear everyday when I wake up alone. I don't have anybody anymore."

"That's not true. You have the kids, your parents, your friends, me..."

I scoffed at her bold face lie. "I got you?" I said pointing at her. "Do I really? Because last time I checked you won't talk to me. You rather talk to Jeremih or anybody else but me. You've always done that. I'll talk to you when I have a problem, whatever it is, but you won't. It's like you're scared to tell me shit."

"Maybe because I am..."

"Why, B?"

"Because you're not gonna baby me, no matter what it is. You're going to be 100% honest. Sometimes you're too honest. Because in the times I want you to just understand and be there for me you gotta come with the hard facts. Your delivery isn't always there, Dave."

"B, somebodies gotta be that for you. I know you like being in control and being the boss, but I'm a man before anything. If nobody says shit to you you can get out of control. You have a problem with control because your mother was strict with everything except the important shit. This is me we're talking about. The person who was right by your side through the bullshit. I was there when a chick cut your hair, your mother burned you or just beat your ass, I got stabbed because of you, and I've had to jump in a female fight and hit a damn girl for you because you were getting jumped. I've been there through it all." I said looking straight at her.