Chapter 23: It Does Not Feel the Same

Bernice
December 19th

I ran behind Malachi picking him up putting him back on the couch. I was trying to get him dressed for this trial. I grabbed his shoes putting them on his little feet then tying them. I looked at him in his button-up shirt and bow tie. He's so cute.

I put my trench coat on because it's now cold in New York

I put my trench coat on because it's now cold in New York. I put my heels on my swollen feet. I'm going to be wearing heels during this pregnancy until I can't anymore. That's the cost of being a cute, little pregnant woman. I grabbed my purse and keys then we left. Once we got to the courthouse. I met up with our adoption attorney who was sitting with Malachi's maternal grandmother outside of the courtroom. "Where's Dave?" I asked handing Kai to his grandma.

"He didn't come with you?" Our attorney asked confused.

"No," I said sighing looking at my watch on my wrist. I didn't want anybody to know me and Dave aren't together. From what I heard he was staying with his parents at first, but now he's at Buddha's place. We haven't been talking aside from facetiming, so he could talk to Kai. I got my phone out dialing his number. It rung, but he didn't answer. I texted him, "Where are you?" All I know is he better show up. "Let's just go in. I'm sure he'll be here." They nodded going into the courtroom. "He better be," I mumbled.

When I walked in I could see Dave's parents, Zeek, Brittany and Toya already sitting down. They smiled so I waved at them. I went to where Zeek was sitting leaning in. "Where's Dave?" He shrugged. I sighed walking to the front where the attorney and his grandmother were. The judge walked in sitting down.

She talked for a minute clarifying everything. She looked over at us, "Looks like you guys are missing someone. Where's the other spouse?"

"He's running a little late," our attorney said.

"Late? He has twenty minutes to get here or I'll reschedule. If I reschedule it might be months before you get in my courtroom again. Someone go call him and see how far away he is." I grabbed my phone from my purse going out into the hall. I was about to call him again when I looked up I saw him and Buddha rushing down the hall in suits.

"You're late!" I immediately said as he came up.

"Sorry, traffic. You look pretty." He said looking me up and down. I rolled my eyes going back into the courtroom as they followed.

"Good, you're here. Let's get this started." The judge asked some questions then had Kai's grandmother sign something to relinquish her rights. Then the judge signed the adoption order, which finalized it. "It's official. David and Bernice Brewster are now the legal guardians of Malachi Carter Brewster. Good luck!" She handed the papers to our attorney then got up leaving. I smiled as his grandmother handed him to Dave. Dave smiled looking down at me then back at Malachi.