Chapter 18: The Chaos in Me

Dave

I watched in amusement as Bernice stopped sweeping dancing to bachata music with the broom still in her hand. She was really feeling it and I couldn't help but laugh especially with that growing belly of hers. Malachi ran to her beginning to bounce making me laugh harder. "Hey! Go Kai!" She yelled cheering him on making him go harder. I grabbed the remote to the Bose system that was playing a mix. I hit the off button to see how they'd react. They both froze looking over at me. I died laughing curling up on the couch because they looked like a deer caught in headlights. "Why'd you do that?!" She said snatching the remote from me turning it back on. She sat on the couch laying her head on my shoulder. "I'm tired!"

"You're never going to finish cleaning if you keep having dance battles with the broom."

"Well, maybe if you would help me."

"Earlier you said you didn't want help. Now you want help?"

"You were in my way! I just don't like men doing the dishes. You can do all the other stuff though. Shouldn't you be at the studio anyway?"

"Yeah, but I don't wanna go."

"Why not? You've been really unmotivated lately."

"I'm just not fuckin' with this label thing. They're restricting me too much. Either give me a date for my album or let me put a mixtape out. It's that simple!"

"Yeah, I talked to them and nothing's changing. I hate to say this, but..." She sighed then screwed her lip up, "Don't listen to them. Fuck it! How do they expect you to put an album out and actually sell if everybody forgets about you? Put a mixtape out and maybe it'll get there attention."

"Forreal? You're giving me the green light as my marketer? If they get mad you'll have my back, right?"

"100%! That's a given, baby!" I smiled kissing her forehead that was on my shoulder

"I already have songs ready for a tape. I just need to come up with a name then I'll let you do the cover."

"Alright, I got you. Are you going to the studio now or tonight? Because I have to go meet my sister at the bank later."

"I'll go tonight. Why are you meeting her at the bank?"

"Setting her up an account." I looked at her funny. I guess she could feel it because she sat up looking at me.

"Why are you setting her up an account? Doesn't she have a job?"

"Yeah. I just didn't feel right that my mom didn't leave her anything. She left her stepdaughter money, but not even her. The account is just for her to pay for school. Like tuition and books."

"That's nice and all, but where is this money coming from?"

"Chill, it's not coming from our personal money. It's coming from the money my mom left me."

"Alright. I know that's your sister and all, but don't give her everything your mom left you. Give it to her in moderation. Don't let her take advantage of you and start expecting it either. This is a gift to help her out."

"I know. She won't be like that."

I slightly laughed in a mocking manner. "You'll be surprised how family members act over money."