Chapter 69: Unlocked Cages

Bernice
4 months later

I sat in the car as we drove on the highway looking out of the window

I sat in the car as we drove on the highway looking out of the window. We've been in the car for 3 hours and we still had two more hours before we would be in upstate New York. I looked back at Zeek and Buddha in the backseat hype to Skrilla by Kodak Black. I laughed wondering how Toya was sitting back there sound asleep with their loud asses. I looked at the engagement ring on her finger smiling to myself as the light bounced off of it. Buddha finally proposed but he says they're not getting married until Dave gets out so he can be his best man. That's a real best friend.

I turned back around looking at Brittany who's sitting in the seat next to me sound asleep too. I fixed her head so it would stop nodding all over the place then rubbed her small baby bump. She's 3 months pregnant and the cutest little thing ever. Brittany and Zeek said it was an accident and I believe them. Still no ring, but what they have works. At least somebody else around here is having kids besides me.

"You okay?" I looked ahead at the back of Big Dave's head as he drove. I could see him looking at me in the rear view mirror.

"I'm good. A little nervous, but happy." I said honestly as I smiled.

"Nervous? For what?"

"I don't know. I just am," I said shrugging. I looked down at my phone going to the Instagram app picking a picture I took of a tattoo I got a little while ago. I wrote a caption then posted it.

Every letter he wrote he ended it with "Stay Golden

Every letter he wrote he ended it with "Stay Golden." My best friend since I was 12 that will always be the love of my life. We've been through it all & after serving a year & some change he's coming home to me. #DaddysHome #MrsEast ❤✨🌹

I sighed locking my phone putting it on silent because I knew a lot of notifications were about to be coming through. After serving a little over a year he got released on good behavior. That's where we're in our way right now. To go get him. A year without him was still hard, but him not having to serve the full two years made me happy.